The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Assumption that mental health care is needed for cfs

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Jenny, May 15, 2016.

1. Jenny

Jenny Senior Member

London
    TiredSam likes this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    There is a high recovery rate for children. What are the odds, aside from misdiagnosis, that he simply recovered in the normal order of things?

Hutan, Jenny and Valentijn like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Its also worth mentioning that the misdiagnosis rate in the UK appears to be upwards of 40%.

halcyon, Kati, taniaaust1 and 5 others like this.
  4. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

It needs to be pointed out that it is only said that he began displaying symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome. That could mean almost anything. It does not say that he was diagnosed even with CFS, under any of its definitions.In this way the message can be spread that CFS is a mental illness.

L'engle, taniaaust1, alex3619 and 4 others like this.
  5. NL93

NL93 Senior Member

The Netherlands
    Yeah ridiculous. Maybe misdiagnosis. Some doctors just think you can call all forms of tiredness CFS.
    Here in The Netherlands a lot of people are misdiagnosed too. My best friend suffers from anorexia (made her tired and some days she would be so tired that she would stay in bed. Other days she would work out for hours without eating anything) and she was diagnosed with CFS on top of anorexia.
    She was put in a mental health clinic. Eventually she started eating again and was cured of her "CFS"
    She told them it was a misdiagnosis (because she knows me, lol) but they diagnosed her anyways. Really ridiculous.

Kati, Dolphin, taniaaust1 and 5 others like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    The author is Denis Campbell, who has written drivel about ME before, eg he gives Crawley and White a free pass here:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2011/dec/12/chronic-fatigue-syndrome-schools

And here he is sticking up for Andrew Wakefield:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2007/jul/08/health.medicineandhealth1

after already disgracing himself by writing an infamous article about MMR / Austism in the Observer:

charman-anderson.com/2007/07/26/new-health-fears-over-big-surge-in-misleading-and-irresponsible-science-reporting/

Which has since been removed from the Observer website.

His article about Fish Oil has also been held up as an example of bad science and removed from the Observer's website.

Maybe he should have stuck to the sportsdesk.

Mij, AndyPandy, sarah darwins and 4 others like this.
  7. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

That second Guardian article is interesting. I particularly like the idea of a two year old having false illness beliefs

GreyOwl, PennyIA, AndyPandy and 2 others like this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

It doesnt. Its kind of subtly implied, especially by this sentence:

Yet its not necessary for someone to recover to help others. Its just that this is commonly presumed.

TiredSam and *GG* like this.

See more popular forum discussions.