The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Association between cognitive performance, physical fitness, and physical activity level in CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(note that I shortened the title to fit it in to the character limit)

Free full text: http://www.rehab.research.va.gov/jour/2013/506/ickmans506.html

Esther12 likes this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Another frustrating paper from the Jo Nijs team.

In sum, the healthy controls didn't find a correlation between cognitive scores and exercise test results. This would suggest the results are largely independent (which is sort of what one would expect: there are plenty of unfit people with high IQs (say) and very fit people who still aren't very bright).

So the finding that cognitive scores and exercise test correlate in CFS suggests to me that something unusual happens in CFS: an independent variable, severity, explains both results. Instead, they make out it is to do with deconditioning and similarly the impairments can be alleviated by improving deconditioning.

Cheshire, Valentijn, ahmo and 2 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I sign of where Nijs and co are at:

Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Sounds like a fancy actometer:

Esther12 likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I would have preferred if the actometer had been used at a different time than the three days after the exercise test as it could give untypical results.

The results weren't that exciting for the comparisons between physical activity and cognitive performance:

*This means that more sleep was associated with worse cognitive results in CFS

**This means that more steps was associated with worse cognitive results in CFS (and marginally significant in the control group).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    Valentijn likes this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I'm not going to try to list all the results but here are the Stroop results:
    If one looks at Figure 2 (a), (b) and (c) one can see that for each of them, the CFS were quite significantly slower.

Valentijn likes this.
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(Not important I think)
    This talk about the controls seems speculative

Esther12 likes this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Very annoying comment (I thought) in the discussion:
    Underlined bit is annoying.
    More annoying speculation
    (replying to them) Or it may not

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(from Discussion)
    *Physical Activity Levels

Esther12 likes this.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The hypothesis in the last sentence seems questionable to me when PAL wasn't related to cognitive function.

Esther12 likes this.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Valentijn, Jerry S and Esther12 like this.
  12. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

They're pretty happy to chuck ideas about us around without much concern about whether it's reasonable, or what harm it may do. What bold and pioneering thinkers they are.

A more moral approach might be less good for their careers: "Oops - another hypothesis shown to be flawed. We should probably keep any further speculations about these patients to ourselves until we have some more evidence to either support or refute our theories."

See more popular forum discussions.