• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Assoc of active hhv-6, -7 and parvo b19 ... in patients with ME/CFS

SOC

Have we discussed this paper yet? That ~66% number is showing up again. I haven't read the entire paper so far -- just the abstract and discussion.

[my bolding]
Association of active human herpesvirus-6, -7 and parvovirus b19 infection with clinical outcomes in patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome.

Chapenko S, Krumina A, Logina I, Rasa S, Chistjakovs M, Sultanova A, Viksna L, Murovska M.
Source

August Kirchenstein Institute of Microbiology and Virology, Riga Stradins University, Ratsupites Street 5, LV-1067 Riga, Latvia.
Abstract

Frequency of active human herpesvirus-6, -7 (HHV-6, HHV-7) and parvovirus B19 (B19) infection/coinfection and its association with clinical course of ME/CFS was evaluated. 108 ME/CFS patients and 90 practically healthy persons were enrolled in the study. Viral genomic sequences were detected by PCR, virus-specific antibodies and cytokine levels-by ELISA, HHV-6 variants-by restriction analysis. Active viral infection including concurrent infection was found in 64.8% (70/108) of patients and in 13.3% (12/90) of practically healthy persons. Increase in peripheral blood leukocyte DNA HHV-6 load as well as in proinflammatory cytokines' levels was detected in patients during active viral infection. Definite relationship was observed between active betaherpesvirus infection and subfebrility, lymphadenopathy and malaise after exertion, and between active B19 infection and multijoint pain. Neuropsychological disturbances were detected in all patients. The manifestation of symptoms was of more frequent occurrence in patients with concurrent infection. The high rate of active HHV-6, HHV-7 and B19 infection/coinfection with the simultaneous increase in plasma proinflammatory cytokines' level as well as the association between active viral infection and distinctive types of clinical symptoms shows necessity of simultaneous study of these viral infections for identification of possible subsets of ME/CFS.

An interesting finding wrt PEM

Severe postexertional malaise corresponding to “Exercise brings on my fatigue” by FSS was detected in all patients (mean score 6.94 ± 0.243 from 7 maximum) with single HHV-6, HHV-7, and in 9/10 with dual HHV-6 + HHV-7 coinfection as well as in 14/19 with triple HHV-6 + HHV-7 + B19 coinfection (90% and 74%, resp.).

This table was interesting, too.

tab3

Fascinating study, thanks for posting. I like how they broke down symptoms by infection(s).

I'm not sure where I fit in though. B19 is closest to my symptoms, aside from definitely having PEM. I also get some lymph stuff sometimes (tonsils though, not armpits).

SOC

Fascinating study, thanks for posting. I like how they broke down symptoms by infection(s).

I'm not sure where I fit in though. B19 is closest to my symptoms, aside from definitely having PEM. I also get some lymph stuff sometimes (tonsils though, not armpits).

Have you been tested for HHV6? I had active HHV6 and B19 (was never tested for HHV7, as far as I know). I had all those symptoms except new headaches and subfebrility.

snowathlete

intresting. dont think I have spotted this one before.

I'm waiting for test results on EBV, HHV6 and HHV7. Dont think Im being tested for B19 though id have to check to be sure.

Have you been tested for HHV6? I had active HHV6 and B19 (was never tested for HHV7, as far as I know). I had all those symptoms except new headaches and subfebrility.

Only HHV-4 (EBV) thus far. Viruses are probably somewhere I'll look next.

SOC

Only HHV-4 (EBV) thus far. Viruses are probably somewhere I'll look next.
I strongly recommend it. You sound very viral. ;) Just clearing up infections (HHV6, EBV, C. pneumoniae, parvo B19, and coxsackie) made a huge difference in how I feel. It wasn't a cure, but it was a substantial improvement in quality of life.

Hello. Just received my first (in my life!) test for HHV-6 and HHV-7 PCR and i'm positive to HHV-7. Is there a treatment against this virus ? I suffer from ME/CFS.
hhv.jpg

SOC

Hello. Just received my first (in my life!) test for HHV-6 and HHV-7 PCR and i'm positive to HHV-7. Is there a treatment against this virus ? I suffer from ME/CFS.
hhv.jpg
HHV7 is a beta herpesvirus like HHV6 and CMV, so is likely to respond best to Valcyte. Your doc might prefer to prescribe a less toxic antiherpetic such as Valtrex , which is aimed at alpha- and gamma-herpesviruses, although it might be less effective for beta-herpesviruses.

Or your doc might say HHV7 is no big deal and be unwilling to prescribe anything.