Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Assessment of ME/CFS: A Case Study for Health Care Providers

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Denise, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I am assuming this new paper is a follow-on to this one from 2013 which discussed upcoming CDC standardized cfs patient videos. This case study is a CDC assessment of the effectiveness of a learning module comprised of a pre and post-test, slides (20-30 minutes) and a video (approx 6 minutes long).

Since the release of the original article I have checked MedEd Portal regularly to try to find the videos but have not been able to find mention until I found the case study paper today. (I have not yet signed up with the site to see if I can access videos that way.)

Educational objectives for this case study

upload_2017-1-3_15-18-27.png

I believe @medfeb knows more about PEM and the video. I hope she will add details in this thread.

EDIT - MY MISTAKE - This new paper is NOT a follow on to the 2013 paper but rather developed after the IOM report.

2nd edit - Apparently I am not as dense as I thought.... this is a follow-on.
    They re-purposed the 2013 material and are passing it off as meeting post-IOM criteria?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Esther12 and actup like this.
  2. Denise

Denise Senior Member

I get quite frustrated at seeing very disparate numbers on economic impact of this disease in material put out by government agencies.
    This paper says $19-51 billion (I believe though that's based on Reeves criteria),
    the announcement for the Federal Partners Report and the P2P website say:
    "The economic burden of ME/CFS, including annual health care costs, is estimated to be between $1.9 billion and $7.2 billion."
    And the Federal Partners Report says the range is $18-24 billion.

The aim of the educational module is to educate healthcare professionals about symptoms across different definitions..... so even though they say the IOM report provides diagnostic criteria, this module doesn't seem to follow it....

As for results - while I am glad there is some increase in the percentage of students who say they understand the effects of PEM, that increase is only 20% of students..... That means too many of them still do not understand this essential feature.

MastBCrazy and actup like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

actup and medfeb like this.
  4. medfeb

medfeb Senior Member

The article states that this was developed after the IOM report but it was actually developed in 2013 against the Fukuda definition. In 2014, if I understood her correctly, Dr. Unger said that the videos do not discuss PEM and that that information in in the supplemental material. And if I remember correctly, Dr. Unger told CFSAC that information on the IOM report would be in the supplemental material as well. As far as I know, this was not updated as the material had been with MEDEdPortal for review unless something changed.

EDIT: The video and slides are online but it appears that you need to be a medical provider
    EDIT 2: the link - https://www.mededportal.org/publication/10527

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    actup and Esther12 like this.
  5. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    While you are editing, ;) How about editing the title and take out the spelled out ME/CFS and add the ending of the title of the paper?

GG

Denise likes this.
  6. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Thanks. :)

*GG* likes this.
  7. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Thank you for being open to changing it, and helping admins not having to deal with Duplicate threads. I try to post as much info in Title (date and source if possible as well), because it will make it easier for Future searches, perhaps draw new people to the site and make this site an even more valuable resource than it already is!

GG

Dolphin likes this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I registered at the site but I still couldn't get into the specific material here:

Esther12 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.