August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Assessing current functioning as a measure of significant reduction in activity level (on ME & CFS)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/21641846.2016.1206176?journalCode=rftg20

Assessing current functioning as a measure of significant reduction in activity level
    DOI: 10.1080/21641846.2016.1206176
    Taylor Thorpea, Stephanie McManimena, Kristen Gleasona, Jamie Stoothoffa, Julia L. Newtonb, Elin Bolle Strandc & Leonard A. Jasona*

• Received: 9 May 2016
    • Accepted: 22 Jun 2016
    • Published online: 19 Jul 2016

ABSTRACT

Background
    :

Myalgic encephalomyelitis and chronic fatigue syndrome have case definitions with varying criteria, but almost all criteria require an individual to have a substantial reduction in activity level.

Unfortunately, a consensus has not been reached regarding what constitutes substantial reductions.

One measure that has been used to measure substantial reduction is the Medical Outcomes Study Short-Form-36 Health Survey (SF-36). [1]

Purpose:

The current study examined the relationship between the SF-36, a measure of current functioning, and a self-report measure of the percent reduction in hours spent on activities.

Results:

Findings indicated that select subscales of the SF-36 accurately measure significant reductions in functioning.

Further, this measure significantly differentiates patients from controls.

Conclusion:

Determining what constitutes a significant reduction in activity is difficult because it is subjective to the individual.

However, certain subscales of the SF-36 could provide a uniform way to accurately measure and define substantial reductions in functioning.

KEYWORDS

Woolie, mango, Simon and 5 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

One thing both of the last 2 tables show is that the CDC should never have used the role emotional scale of the SF-36 as a way to operationalise reduced impairment in the CFS definition i.e. in Reeves et al 2005.

Simon, Snow Leopard, Kati and 4 others like this.
  6. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

I didn't see it reflected here but a reduction in time spent is not the only thing:

I might have reduced the amount of time I spend on say paperwork or housework but, as I am also functioning less effectively, I achieve less during the time I spend. So If I've cut the time spent by, lets say, 75 % I may only achieve 10% or 5% compared to previous functioning levels, rather than 25%

Also what I do do may well be riddled with errors (and often is!).

Justin30, mango, TiredSam and 12 others like this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

The impairment in productivity clearly goes beyond a mere endurance problem. Not sure how many others have this but in addition to what @Invisible Woman said I have big problems with finishing projects. The connection to projects I start fades away a little more every day. I think it's a specific type of memory problem.

8. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

My latest PubMed Commons e-letter criticising the CDC's so-called empiric criteria (Reeves et al. 2005)

mango, Simon, Webdog and 6 others like this.
  9. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Same here, I tend to think it can take me 10 times longer (depending on whatever Im doing) to do what I did before even when spending the same time on it. Its cause I keep screwing things up so do them wrong which causes more issues or forget parts Ive already done and keep redoing them.

eg say Im trying to get a form done. I find I've misplaced the form and burn myself out just looking for it. I end up having to get help to find it another day.. I'll then may start it but then loose it again and then go and even forget I had the form so at a later date I apply for yet another form. Im going around and around in circles with different things.

or I order something and then a few weeks later my order comes back to me telling me I did the order wrong, so I had to redo it (I've had incidences where my orders have come back to me a second time as I just went and screwed up another area on a form to what i did the first time I tried).

Try to make meals but burn them so have to do all over again (thou usually I give up that happens as I dont have the energy to try again). im not very efficiently doing things even when I do them.

See more popular forum discussions.