1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Asking for advice to prep for TTT for best outcome

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by paulgrose, Aug 28, 2014.

1. paulgrose

paulgrose

Hi All,

I will be having an a.m. TTT in Sept (not my preference). This is my first one. I know to go off anything I'm taking that could potentially prevent the problem from showing up. They already said to avoid food/water after midnight due to possible nausea. I know to avoid resting extra ahead of time. Other suggestions or do you have any specific threads where this info is already posted?

Paul
    kevinj likes this.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @paulgrose
    Take a recovery kit with you! Food, lots of drink with electrolytes, meds etc. Ask for IV saline after the TTT.

Sushi
    ahimsa, kevinj, SDSue and 1 other person like this.
  3. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Sounds like you have it pretty well covered. :thumbsup: I don't know about you, but no water for many hours would make me nicely dehydrated and liable to pass out before I ever got to the testing site. ;) While I'm surprised they recommend this, it's probably a good way for a PWME to show their worst. ;)

I assume you know to be prepared to feel dreadful during and after the test. You might not recover as quickly as they expect. Sushi's suggestions for a recovery kit are excellent.
    ahimsa, SDSue and kevinj like this.
  4. kevinj

kevinj

I have been reading up on this too. Check with them in advance that They will stop the test if you feel too bad. There are one or two places that apparently still go on until you faint and this is ridiculous.

That is the first time I have ever heard of them saying not to drink or eat before you go and that also sounds a bit stupid to me dude as you would be low on fluids before you start.
    ahimsa and Sushi like this.
  5. SDSue

SDSue Florida

Florida
    I had mine in January under similar instructions. Withholding fluids puts you in your worst condition, which unfortunately is a good thing to help uncover the problem. I had to ask for a saline IV after the test, and I was glad I did.

Because not all testers are familiar with our dysautonomia conditions, they may not watch you as closely as they should. Remember to NOT use your large muscles (especially legs) at all while the test is being conducted. Try to relax! Twitching, shifting, etc engages your muscle pumps and helps prevent blood from pooling - which can effect the outcome of your test.

Good luck!
    Alea Ishikawa, ahimsa, kevinj and 2 others like this.
  6. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Yes, I was told no food or fluids either. They don't want you to throw up and aspirate!

Sushi
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Do not go for a TTT by yourself. Have someone with you for hours after the test. Do not go to a small clinic for testing if you can avoid it. If major issues occur then a large hospital is the best choice.
    paulgrose, ahimsa, kevinj and 3 others like this.
  8. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Very true! Large hospital with a crash cart available. Don't want to be alarming, but it is possible to have pretty severe reactions, particularly if the test is set up so that you stand there till you pass out.

Sushi
    ahimsa, kevinj, SDSue and 1 other person like this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    In my case my cardiologist was about to call a crash cart. My heart had stopped. I was in no fit state to travel afterward either.
    kevinj and Sushi like this.
  10. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    :eek: We're glad you're still with us, Alex!
    ahimsa, kevinj and alex3619 like this.
  11. paulgrose

paulgrose

Thanks to all who have replied. To Alex: Fortunately, I will be at a large hospital, one of the best in the area. One of my parents will be with me the whole time as well, including driving me home in a station wagon so I can lie down.

I wanted to mention some more things I will be avoiding as well: I will skip wearing my knee-high compression socks which help me quite a bit to keep my balance while standing for long periods of time. BTW: Has anyone else had full-blown venous insufficiency, such as I did, in which the legs had swollen several inches bigger in diameter? Now, my legs are normal size but with the characteristic reddish appearance.

I am going to try to carefully limit (not completely) food and water earlier than the recommended midnight deadline. I am capable of feeling off-balance/blacking out early in the day, but it's at night when I have more risk of that. So, I feel I have to simulate those conditions in the morning while I'm being tested.
    kevinj likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.