• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ascorbate / Vitamin C Flush - Ammonia - Ph

Pea

Toxin Flush - Ascorbate Vit C - Ammonia - Ph

The nutritionist had my friend do an Ascorbate Flush. She felt because he was confused in the evening, that he was holding ammonia. His urine Ph had been right in the middle, but after the flush it fell to be more acidy. And, WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT to his brain function - besides that he said he felt so good, he was so alert & conversant later in the day, not anxiety-filled, and continues to be. :victory:

Has anybody done this or heard of it? I did a search here but didn't find anything. I thought it could help those who are stalled. I'm hoping this will enhance his methylation by getting the ammonia & other toxins out. His slurring & hoarseness were actually a bit worse yesterday though; eek, I'm telling myself he's healing.

The protocol can be found here, a PDF under the Vitamin C heading on the right side of the page:
http://www.perque.com/pages/self_test_center.html

Nutritionist said he should continue to take 2 tsp. a day of this powder, and do a reflush again in a week. Could this be a source of Potassium, or no? I don't know what they mean by "as ascorbate" -

The Perque Potent C Guard lists per 1/2 teaspoon:
l-ascorbate - 1,584 mg.
Potassium (as ascorbate) - 99 mg.
Calcium (as ascorbate) - 40 mg.
Magnesium (as ascorbate) - 16 mg.
Zinc (as ascorbate) - 600 mcg.

Sparrow

If you look at supplements of those minerals, you will find that they come bound with something else. So rather than just magnesium by itself, you will tend to get magnesium citrate, or magnesium glycinate, or magnesium ascorbate, etc. The first half in all cases is magnesium, but the second half is another compound that can also do things and have effects on the body (sometimes good, sometimes bad, and sometimes largely inconsequential).

So "as ascorbate" is saying that they're providing magnesium, calcium, zinc, potassium that are bound with vitamin C as their "other half". So there are no other compounds in there besides the vitamin C and the minerals they've listed.

Pea

So this IS a source of potassium? It is just bound with, in this case, ascorbate?

xrunner

Minerals are usually bound to something. Zinc ascorbate is zinc reacted with vitamin C. There are also minerals reacted with aminoacids. This allows for better absorbtion.
If you look for a source of potassium there are healthy foods that have plenty, more than tablets, unlike other minerals that may be difficult to get from the diet.
Not sure it makes sense to go for supplements as regards this mineral.

Pea

Thanks - fortunately we're both into avacadoes lately!

He is taking a lower maintenance dose of this powder thoughtout the day which seemed to help with evening brain fog, and I hoped it could also serve as a source of potassium - wanted to make sure he has enough potassium because that can be a problem as the body adjusts to new B12 levels.

Freddd

Minerals are usually bound to something. Zinc ascorbate is zinc reacted with vitamin C. There are also minerals reacted with aminoacids. This allows for better absorbtion.
If you look for a source of potassium there are healthy foods that have plenty, more than tablets, unlike other minerals that may be difficult to get from the diet.
Not sure it makes sense to go for supplements as regards this mineral.

Hi Xrunner,

If you look for a source of potassium there are healthy foods that have plenty, more than tablets, unlike other minerals that may be difficult to get from the diet. Not sure it makes sense to go for supplements as regards this mineral

I'll give you some reasons. First for many, but not known exactly who, potassium is in fruits and vegetables that often contain folate, folinic acid to be exact. For some people it doesn't take much veggie folate to block methylfolate in the body causing paradoxical folate deficiency.

Another good one is if one wakes up in the middle of the night sceaming in pain from spasms, a glass of water and bottle of pills, it is easy to take a number of tablets and drink a large glass of water or a spoon of drink mix in water with the potassium can have the spams relieved in 15 muites. It took me 40 minutes to crawl into the kitchen the first time when I kept my potassium in there. Food can take a half the night to digest and absorb the potassoium enough to stop the spasms.

Pea

I mentioned this ascorbate flush in another thread about potassium or magnesium, and Adreno (I think) asked about it. I can't now find which thread he asked, so here it is.

Since we did the above flush, and reading about potassium, I had been wondering if it wasn't so much that the ammonia was flushed out, but that the extra magnesium helped with the confusion & anxiety issues. There is a maintenance dose which he didn't take for 2 days waiting to hear back from the nutritionist, and those issues came back, but now he's on a maint. dose of 4 teaspoons throughout the day and clarity is much better.

This may be a good source of these various nutrients for some of you too!