• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

As Needed Anti-Anxiety Treatments?

barbc56

A side note... my CFS was triggered by carboplatin and paclitaxel, which work by damaging mitochondria in cancer cells... As I unfortunately learned, they also damage healthy cells. No one told me this, and as my treatment began with emergency abdominal surgery, I was not in a state to do my own research and trusted my doctor completely. Now, my mitochondria are unhappy. THAT is irresponsible...

@Kati Don't all chemotherapy medications damage normal cells?

barbc56

Last edited:

Learner1

Alternative medicine or integrative medicine isn't the best source for accurate scientific scrutiny.

One of the authors is an ND. NDs may have lots of training but not proper scientific training.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/what-naturopaths-really-want/

I highly recommend this blog from a naturalpathic doctor who left the profession because of the many unscientific practices.

https://www.naturopathicdiaries.com/what-is-naturopathic-medicine/
It's naturopathic, not naturalpathic. You know not of what you speak.

This blog from a disgruntled doctor (Britt Marie Hermes) who was obviously not qualified to practice medicine and couldn't make a living at it does not fairly represent naturopathic medicine or many of the treatments. There are many disgruntled, disillusioned MDs as well who've done exposes on western medicine. And sciencebasedmedicine is anything but.

My naturopathic doctor uses conventional labs, prescribes drugs, hormones and supplements, and has been absolutely excellent in treating my CFS, something that no MD in the major city I live in has had any competence whatsoever at. Everything he does is based in evidence based studies.

I subsequently found one of the top CFS doctors in the US, in another state, who has been quite supportive of the naturopathic care I've gotten and I discussed it at the recent symposium with Dr. Naviaux who was also very supportive of my naturopathic treatment.

Check it out, perhaps you might improve if you cared to try it.

Learner1

Alternative medicine or integrative medicine isn't the best source for accurate scientific scrutiny.

One of the authors is an ND. NDs may have lots of training but not proper scientific training.

I highly recommend this blog from a naturalpathic doctor who left the profession because of the many unscientific practices.
Regarding the subject of this thread, I first became aware of naturopathic medicine after my immediate family member had been diagnosed with bipolar 2, PTSD, borderline personality disorder and inattentive ADHD by 21 MDs, had been hospitalized, treated with 9 psychiatric drugs, and had become suicidal.

A naturopathic doctor was able to deduce that this patient had celiac, Hashimotos, allergies to eggs and milk, and severe nutrient deficiencies, including folate, B6, B12, inositol, choline, molybdenum, zinc and copper, and was able to one by one get the patient if 3 very strong psychiatric meds and created a total cure.

The patient is cured and now doing PhD research in nutrition and the microbiome, on no drugs.

That's what naturopathic medicine can do.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits

They look like shifty characters alright, without the proper training or expertise to write a review. You appear to be making an ad hominem attack.
Medication-induced mitochondrial damage and disease
http://sci-hub.cc/10.1002/mnfr.200700075
John Neustadt , ND is clinic director of Montana Integrative Medicine and president and CEO of Nutritional Biochemistry, (NBI) and NBI Testing and Consulting Corporation, in Bozeman, Mont. Dr. Neustadt has published more than 100 research reviews, is coauthor with Jonathan Wright, MD, of the book, Thriving through Dialysis (Dragon Arts Publishing, Auburn, Wash, 2006), and an editor of Laboratory Evaluations for Integrative and Functional Medicine. Drs. Neustadt and Pieczenik wrote the book, A Revolution in Health through Nutritional Biochemistry (iUniverse, 2006).

Steve Pieczenik , MD, Ph.D trained in psychiatry at Harvard and has both an MD from Cornell University Medical College and a Ph.D in International Relations from M. I. T. He is a board-certified psychiatrist and was a board examiner in psychiatry and neurology. He is chairman of the board of NBI and NBI Testing and Consulting Corporation.
"The research counts, not the journal!"

If you have a problem with the review, why not focus on the the review itself and the way it was written, rather than finding some imagined, unproven fault with the authors, both who appear to have the relevant experience and expertise to carry out such a review?

barbc56

@Lyratic

I have found clonazepam successful, not only for anxiety but also for sensory overload. I was originally prescribed it for restless legs syndrome as I can't tane the first line medications.

Clonazepam has a long half life which makes it less likely to cause dependency especially if you use it on an as needed basis. I have been taking it for twenty years and I'm on a lower dose than when I started using it.

Of course this is my experience and reactions/success may be different among patients.

barbc56

If you have a problem with the review, why not focus on the the review itself and the way it was written, rather than finding some imagined, unproven fault with the authors, both who appear to have the relevant experience and expertise to carry out such a review

I was answering a legitimate question as I didn't make myself clear nor elaborate in my first post.. I'll let others made their own conclusions about the relevancy of the authors credentials.I gave mine.

Perhaps a different thread for further discussion of NDs vs MDs?

Last edited:

Hip

Medication-induced mitochondrial damage and disease
http://sci-hub.cc/10.1002/mnfr.200700075

I posted a similar list of drugs that are potentially toxic to mitochondria in my thread on drugs with mitochondrial toxicity. The first thing to note from my thread is that most of these drugs I listed are only potentially toxic, and the second thing to note it that the list is very small (nowhere near the 75% of a drugs that were claimed to have mitochondrial toxicity).

I suggest we continue this discussion on my mitochondrial toxicity thread, so as not mess up this thread.

Kati

Patient in training
@Kati Don't all chemotherapy medications damage normal cells?
In general the traditional chemo medicines kill the fast reproducing cells. ( blood cells, epithelial cells (gut), hair). Each one target cancer cells differently.

The exception is the targeted therapies such as monoclonal antibody (Rituximab is in that class of medicines)

People undergoing chemotherapy choose this option because these protocols offer the best chances of survival from their cancer as per best evidence available. Depending on tissue type, grading of tumor (aggressive or slow growing), stage of disease and whether there are metastasis, chemo, surgery or radiation are proving to be the best available treatments, according to wel established international consensus. There are side effects, both short and long term associated with the chemo. The side effect of going 'alternative' is the high likelihood that the treatment will not work.

(I answered the question but this threat has gone seriously off-topic)

Last edited:

Valentijn

It's naturopathic, not naturalpathic. You know not of what you speak.
A typo does not disqualify the content of someone's claims, and it's a logical fallacy to suggest that it does. It's especially nasty when doing it to someone with a disease featuring cognitive dysfunction.

digital dog

Run (walk, shuffle, crawl) as fast as you can away from drugs. You'll do yourself considerably more harm than good taking them. I sometimes wonder how many people on here have been damaged by prescription medicaitons.

Apple

I find low dose beta blockers helpful for the physical signs of anxiety. Might be easier to get hold of than Xanax / marijuana. Good luck :)

barbc56

A typo does not disqualify the content of someone's claims, and it's a logical fallacy to suggest that it does. It's especially nasty when doing it to someone with a disease featuring cognitive dysfunction.
Thanks @Valentijn . I think it was the predictive text as I am an impeccable speller. Not!

It was probably the solar eclipse. Even though that was today and I wrote the post yesterday' science hasn't shown how long the the effects start before the actual eclipse. Nor afterwards!. :D