• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

As common as diabetes?

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Total rates of diabetes are around 4-6% or so in western countries (global prevalence of about 3%), around 5-10% of which are Type 1. Prevalence rates of ME/CFS differ, depending on the case definition etc, but population based studies in the USA have estimated rates between 0.25-0.42%. Which is in the ballpark of the prevalence of Type 1 diabetes, but not diabetes in general.

November Girl

That's a shame. Oh, wait - it's not a shame that more people don't have CFS! :oops: It would have been a real nice stat to quote the next time some ignorant person referred to CFS as a rare disease. Btw, that ignorant person was the MA in my doc's office - generally very good at what she does, just doesn't know beans about CFS. At the time I gave her the CDC's prevalence estimates and she was sure that couldn't be right. (Of course I forgot to make a note of them, and don't remember now!)

ixchelkali

The American Diabetes Association says there are 25.8 million people in the United States with diabetes. Even the broadest definitions of ME/CFS, throwing in everyone who's been tired for a long time and half the people who are depressed, don't claim nearly that many people. I don't know where the reporter got that one.

November Girl

It's stated as a quote from the doctor, but I imagine it's a misquote - or partial quote, which is equally as misleading. Over the years, my husband and I have noticed errors in any newspaper article that concerned something we knew a lot about. It's not that the reporters are careless - they just don't get the nuances in most cases.

... A sidetrip down memory lane... The first intentional misquote I read was in a political ad. A politician was pictured on the capitol steps and reported to say "I won't vote for any of the governor's programs, even the good ones." I asked him if he really said that. He told me "yes, but I finished the sentence with "unless their good for my district." This was my first lesson in something that was factually accurate, but also a false depiction. I was about 8 years old, and have never forgotten this. I asked him at the breakfast table because the politician was my Dad. He's been gone 15 years, and I still miss him.

mellster

Marco
I heard/read somewhere about numbers in the range of 11-15 million and more for CFS/ME/FM (plus more if you include undiagnosed or misdiagnosed patients) - so pretty close. Not sure if it was legit, but I wouldn't be surprised by those numbers.