1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
No Longer Naive in the Ways of The Beast
After having lived for years with ME/CFS, Jody Smith learned there's more to this beast of an illness than she realized, and that what might help one person may not help others ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Artificial sun (tanning beds), has anyone benefited?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by place, Jun 2, 2014.

1. place

place Be Strong!

US
    I have noticed a trend that I feel really sick during the winter months of January, February, March. I honestly think it is due to lack of D vitamin. I feel my best when I get outside a couple of times a week for some sun light.

Has anybody used a tanning bed or other means to create V. D during winter months and did it help with v. d levels and health?

Thanks
  2. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Is there another way of CREATING Vitamin D without the sun? I am not aware of it, could be a mental block, tired here and in pain. I take lots of Vitamin D year round, but do cut down to half of my usual dose during the summer months when I might be out an about in the sun, just a little more :)

GG
  3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    SAD? I supplement with 10,000 IU D.
  4. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

I have been using a tanning bed for a few weeks and I am not sure if it helps me, but I like it. I always leave feeling so relaxed. I am doing it because I will be in a wedding and need some color, but I love the way it makes me feel. Does it make the CFS better? Nope. At least it hasn't for me. But, for many, summer is always better. Sun. It's medicine.
    ggingues likes this.
  5. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    @place and @Misfit Toy FYI, commercial tanning beds are being banned in Australia due to links with cancer and other health problems.
    beaker likes this.
  6. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

HA HA HA...@AndyPandy, I know. And, who cares! Being in the sun makes me feel better. If after 25 years of having CFS and all of my health problems, I get cancer, all I can say is YAY! May it be a swift death!! Uplifting, I know, but oh so true. Life is about living and enjoying and since I am so ill, who cares?
    ggingues likes this.
  7. place

place Be Strong!

US
    @minkeygirl, it's not just SAD, I'm physically sick, no energy, sinuses, throat. basically all my symptoms get worse. I am VDR positive mutation, so there is something.

Tanning beds- I guess everything in moderation!

I will give it a try next year in moderation… and hopefully report back = ) thanks
    minkeygirl likes this.
  8. beaker

beaker CFS/ME 1986

USA
    I have currently have 2 kinds of skin cancer. I am having a tumor removed this week. {squamous cell} The other will be removed a few weeks later. It happened one other time as well.
    It's not pretty. It's painful too.
    And having it cut out, while a very good chance of cure, sets the ME/CFS domino effect in motion.
    My dermatologist asked me if I had used tanning beds {no } b/c of the location. I have been out of the sun for 27+ years and prior to that 5 years of very little, prior to that the usual childhood in the sun, topped off w/ sitting out to get a tan in college. It is cumulative. It doesn't show up for years. She said the tanning beds are the worst. Everything I have read supports this, and they are considering putting warning labels on them in the US.
    I think it's great that Australia is banning them.

I have watched a family member have many many cancers of both basel and squamous cell removed. One required skin grafts and a reconstruction of their nose, another had to be treated w/ radiation. This person catches them early too. They spent a lot of time outside.

It may be very treatable. But it can be quite nasty. Why risk it ?
    Vitamin D can be supplemented. There is no need to add extra cancer risk. Plus, evidence points to ME/CFS making cancer more likely.
    A tanning bed isn't going to cure this illness or make it any better. It may make it a lot worse.
    AndyPandy likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.