1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: Who is Dr. Elizabeth Unger?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

And the results will probably conflict with past and/or future research, once again looking like one can't find consistent findings with the illness. Or perhaps even putting researchers off looking again at a topic because the CDC research showed nothing.
  2. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    true that!

The first thing to be done is stop using "Empirical" inclusion. Even if all she does is go back to strict Fukuda.

But Canadian for research purposes, or Fukuda with PEM, or new with NK cell function and PEM and such would be better.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

By the way, there's a link to a petition against the "empirical" definition in my signature for anyone who hasn't signed it.
    The blog gets updated occasionally with news.
  4. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I have the feeling that they almost believe that they should avoid doctors - which I think has distorted their understanding of ME/CFS greatly. I feel if they could bridge that gap the program would be in alot better shape. I wonder if there's an institutional bias against using any data other than that derived from studies. I don't know.
  5. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    That is an idea. Honestly, and I think alot of people won't believe me, but in the middle of the Program evaluation period for the CDC, I asked Kim McCleary about 'losing the CDC program' and I was shocked when she said paraphrasing 'It might be better that it disappears than continues on the way it is - as in its doing harm than good.

We'll see how much, if any change, DR. Unger brings to the department. She does not look the part of a dynamic leader (Reeves certainly looked that part - with that bald head and that scowl) but you never know...She has never lead a department before...she must have her own ideas...she must have some disagreements with past emphases...

There must have been some reason they got rid of Reeves...They were obviously looking for some change. All we know I think is that we have his alter ego in there - self effacing, diplomatic...were those the only changes they were looking for...We'll see.
  6. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Agreed, I believe given our lack of funding the small studies that usually occur in CFS research that we absolutely have a more tight-knit group to study. To increase the number of subsets present as they did with the ED and NOT increase study size = is almost criminal. Its a recipe for nothing but the lowest common denominators like cortisol popping out.

See more popular forum discussions.