1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: Turning the Corner? University Gives WPI Strong Show of Support

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I thought Hunter sounded a bit embarrassed. To me, it just sounded like the WPI had access to fund and political contacts, and the university wants to share them.

I think that up until recently I had quite an idealistic view of how academia worked, and I still feel a bit queasy about anything other than debate, discussion and an honest pursuit of truth influencing the way in which academics behave.

There are big question marks over the competence of the WPI imo.

ps: Thanks for the article.

being likes this.
  3. chili

chili

Harvey Peterson???

4. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Mistake - cleared up - thanks

5. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    I think we should know pretty quickly about how good the WPI's research end is....Several papers are being worked on - if they turn out to be significant then the WPI will start to form a good foundation post-XMRV...

A walk through the WPI was enough to convince me, if I needed convincing, that it would benefit all of us if the WPI was to succeed and succeed very well. We need all the help we can get. Vinnie Lombardi doesn't have a long string of research papers behind his name but, at least to this layman, he seemed quite competent....I left a short visit there feeling good about them.

This is a very important year for the WPI - some successes on the research end would help enormously.

6. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    People can make mistakes and have bad leadership.

The WPI was more than just a few people and there is no reason why the rest of the team can't continue to do good work.

7. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    I agree the WPI has alot to do to renew peoples faith in them but I think it can be done and, if Dr. Lombardi is right about his studies, it will be done. Just taking a very clinical look at the state of the CFS field, this is too important a facility to not give them a second chance. Walking around a facility built to understand ME/CFS is kind of amazing...Just building that building was an amazing accomplishment and took an enormous amount of work and displayed an enormous amount of commitment. There's nothing like it in the ME/CFS world.

The WPI was thrown into a kind of maelstrom and sometimes they did things that I think hurt them and the ME/CFS Community. They could have handled XMRV in a way that left them smelling like a rose. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I think the passion to uncover the source of ME/CFS which got lost a bit in the ups and downs and who's right and who's wrong of XMRV - is still there.

They have a chance to start over - and go back to the work they were engaged in pre-XMRV. I don't know what they're going to do on the clinic side without Dr. Peterson but on the research side my guess is its going to work....I say give them another chance.

8. Xandoff

Xandoff Michael

Northern Vermont
    WPI gave me hope and the courage to seek treatment for ME CFS when I came back XMRV positive. It is amusing that XMRV is still being used as a marker? GcMAF? I always wondered why I have anti-bodies to mouse DNA in my blood? Oh Well. After further testing my chronic infections later proved the validity of my ME CFS illness.

WPI's success is very important to everyone who has this in-curable disease. New science alway's struggles. So we all struggle together. Hope is still alive. The fact that this facility is a reality is Hope to the tenth power.

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality. JOHN LENNON

Lets all believe in WPI together. That is reality.

9. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Glad to hear that the process lead to further understanding of your illness :)

10. Cort

Raleigh, NC

11. Xandoff

Xandoff Michael

Northern Vermont
    I believe history will show that the WPI -XMRV debate brought much needed light to the darkness in our lives and to the scientific community. It was a big stumble but one that may have been necessary. IMHO

12. MishMash

MishMash *****

Georgia
    Well said as usual, Cort. WPI's only sin was trying to help us 'too much'. All the trashing of Mikovits was out of line. She had the best of intentions. I sometimes wonder about the venal attacking and mutual trashing among the scientists. It totally got out of hand. It reminded me a little bit of the occasions when academics are accused of plagarism. Is the world really going to collapse into the sea if an academic error is made? Is Mikovits sin really worse than being a serial killer? It really seemed so, judging by some things I read. Poor gal, I hope she finds some meaningful work somewhere in the scientific world.

13. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I'd support WPI again if I didn't see them suing Mikovits for the salary they paid her. If patients were to take that attitude, we would sue WPI for all the donations we gave. OTOH, maybe they dropped this suit. Or maybe it's a myth. I'd like to know before I start trusting them again.

14. Ernie

Ernie *****

See more popular forum discussions.