Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article re: exercise causing calcium to leak from cells

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Gingergrrl, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/health/research/12musc.html?_r=1

The bolded parts are mine. I learned of this article from another group that I belong to and got permission to post it here. Am curious how this relates to ME/CFS especially in light of having a calcium channel auto-antibody. In the athletes, the cells are leaking calcium, and in someone like me, calcium is being blocked from entering the cell by an auto-antibody but maybe the mechanism (or consequence?) of shortness of breath, muscle weakness, pain, etc, is the same? Whether due to leaking or being blocked, the outcome is less calcium inside the cell if I am understanding this correctly? Would love to hear any thoughts on this and I think this med is experimental and not something available to try.

ETA: Click link to read the full article

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  2. zzz

zzz Senior Member

Oregon
    It's not completely clear how many of your symptoms are being caused by the calcium channel auto-antibody, but certainly the effect of this antibody could be expected to be the same as the problem of leaking calcium. As you say:
    Exactly.
    Yes, the article states:
    And although the effect here of calcium leakage is the same as the effect of a calcium channel auto-antibody, the mechanism is different, so I would expect that a medication that addressed the former would not address the latter.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  3. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Thanks @zzz and everything you said makes sense. This is not part of the article but there is an experimental medication called 3,4 DAP that is supposed to help with calcium channel issues but I do not qualify for it (and no idea if it would help me or if I'd tolerate it anyway).

4. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Ive had potassium leakage before

5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    How did you know that you had potassium leakage from the cells? Sorry if dumb question. I frequently have low potassium on blood tests and take a prescription potassium supplement from my cardiologist but on the autoantibody tests for the potassium channels, I was completely normal (vs. the calcium channels I was not). Am really curious about this. Thanks in advance!

6. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    It was picked up in a blood test at docs,im not sure where it came from,(cells?) it was a burst of potassium.I'm not sure if it happens a lot as I was only tested for minerals and stuff one time.I think calcium was normal in me.
    Added:
    The test was called serum bioprofile first time it was 6.4 but then it was 4.1 ,I noticed I had it tested twice,years apart.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    Gingergrrl likes this.
  7. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    Now its low

Gingergrrl likes this.
  8. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I'm confused what you mean that the bloodtest picked up a "burst of potassium"? Do you mean that when tested, your potassium is chronically low unless you supplement it?

9. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    It was high potassium the first time it was tested burst of potassium was just my odd wording,then it was normal and now it's slightly low.
    I wonder if it maybe to do with the kidneys in my case as microscopic blood in urine comes and goes.
    I wondered about genetic polycystic kidney

10. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I have no idea and leave this to the more sciency people to hopefully respond! My potassium runs low though without supplementation. Have you been tested for the auto-antibodies to calcium, potassium, etc?

11. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I've not been tested for auto antibodies to calcium and potassium,that I know of.

Gingergrrl likes this.
  12. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    Thanks and I was just curious. Am trying to find more people from PR who have had these tests and have found a few but the numbers are very small.

13. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I am reviving this thread and quoting myself b/c I am wondering if anyone on PR has ever tried the medication, 3,4 DAP (which I bolded above). I've never heard it mentioned on PR but was just curious if anyone has tried it and if so, what were the effects? Thanks in advance.

See more popular forum discussions.