1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: Opening the Door to a New Era. The WPI Arrives

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, Cort - this really is an amazing story.

Are you attending the WPI opening today?

3. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Lovely article as always Cort - WPI the very best. Personally I'd love to understand what the "bug" XRMV does to the system causing all the symptoms we know so well (my family all Doctors would love to know too) Now we all on the way to understanding. Very best wishes to them all.

4. Recovery Soon

Recovery Soon Senior Member

Very well written. As I was reading I heard Al Michaels famous "Do you believe in Miracles?"

I am so grateful for the work they continue to do on our behalf.

And I'm thankful for these informative/uplifting articles on this site.

Thanks.

5. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Thanks Cort. This is really exciting... really really exciting!

6. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Thanks much Cort for a great article. I'm wondering who the lady is in the picture; is that Annette Whittmore?

7. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Thanks Cort. Great inspirational article! The WPI's achievements and scientific direction are amazing!

8. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Thank god for WPI!

9. Wasbeer

Wasbeer

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I wouldn't want to be the Goliath facing this David. :victory:

10. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    That is Annette and I wasn't able to make to the opening.
    Go 'David' :D

11. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    I just read the Whittemore's pumped $5 million of their own money to building the facility. I'm sure they've added much more over time. I can't imagine what their total contribution is......they also purchased VIP Dx labs and gave it to the university, if I remember correctly. :cool:

12. sensing progress

sensing progress Senior Member

Tucson, AZ
    Cort, on page 3 of the article you linked to in the Reno Gazette-Journal (http://www.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20108170337) it says "A portion of the research grant money awarded to UNR and medical school faculty generated $60 million of the center's total $77 million cost of the 116,500-square-foot building, with the Harvey and Annette Whittemore family providing the balance, Glick said." So that would mean the Whittemore's gave $17 million. As someone else pointed out, that is a significant number as it's believed to be the amount of people worldwide with ME/CFS. They donated enough money to represent every single one of us.

13. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Opening ceremony speakers (video) indicate of the $77M, $60M from grants, $12M from State of Nevada, and $5M from the Whittemore's.

14. BEG

BEG Senior Member

Southeast US
    Nice article, Cort. Thanks for your time and effort to keep us informed.

15. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    That was very tricky, actually, and is what I was originally going to write. If you read further, though, you'll see that Nevada kicked in 12 million, the feds 60 million and the Whittemore's $5 million.

Here's the wrong summary by the reporter:
    it doesn't jive with Glick's next quote:
    Here's the breakout statement on the right hand side of the page that puts it all together - it makes more sense because it includes the state portion:

16. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Cort,

That's a real fundraising success story:

Federal + State + Private funds

17. jace

jace Off the fence

England
    Hey, it's always been only one individual, or one small group, that has changed the world. Copernicus, Galileo, Michelangelo, Darwin, Einstein, Ghandi, Mikovits, Whittemore...

Rock on.

18. Kelvin Lord

Kelvin Lord Ampligen Journalist

Colorado
    Beautifully written, Cort.
    I read your story first on my iPad newsfeeder, because it was picked up by the media today.

Jace said it best:
    "It's always been only one individual, or one small group, that has changed the world. Copernicus, Galileo, Michelangelo, Darwin, Einstein, Ghandi, Mikovits, Whittemore..."

May God bless WPI.

19. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    i just loved that quote.. maybe it will become famous!

20. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Isn't it? That what I love about this: groups working skillfully together to maximize the resources that are possible. That's smart fundraising!

See more popular forum discussions.