1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

article on hysteria

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by WillowJ, May 27, 2011.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi Justin,

Thanks for your reply. I get frustrated reading any kind of material where I continually want to scream at the author, "please get to the point!" Once I get a sense they're never going to get to the point, I just give up, and surmise what I can from what I read, which often isn't very much.

So I readily defer to your take on this. I'm quite sure you read more of it and more carefully than I did. Seems a shame some people don't have better things to do with their time and energy than to denigrate people they don't know with information they don't understand.

Got to agree with you 100% on that one! ;) I might take it a step further and mention that politicians who are sloppy writers, researchers and thinkers shouldn't run for political office either. But as Angela might say:

:D

Wayne

2. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Right! Sloppy research, thinking and writing don't get her off the hook! : )

3. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    good points!

That's interesting!

Did I coin a new word in 'somatogenic'? ME brain fog has often made me a linguistic pioneer!

4. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    I edited my post to include the following info:

I had, at that time, missed that it was from a book by a different woman, Asti Hustvedt; the book is called Medical Muses: Hysteria in Nineteenth-Century Paris.

And Valentijn conveniently provided the link and answered my question:

5. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    Good work, Tammie.

Good point here. I know an eating disorders expert, whom I can ask to comment on the npr article and the book.

6. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    thanks for the DSM and sloppy thinking discussions, too, everyone :)

7. Francelle

Francelle Senior Member

Victoria, Australia

8. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    I think as another general rule, anyone writing a book even vaguely related to medicine should have to pass a test demonstrating they understand basic concepts, not least of which, specificity and sensitivity.

alex3619 likes this.
  9. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    no kidding.

also use of pubmed, and basic critique of studies: that correlation is not equal to causation, use of appropriate controls, samples and randomization, extrapolation, methods of study design, logical fallacies, and so forth

10. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    cool, thanks

11. Tammie

Tammie Senior Member

Woodridge, IL
    on the amazon site for this book, there are now 6 reviews and all only give one star and make some good points : )

I hope that people continue to comment on how ridiculous this book is and how hurtful and completely wrong

12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Ahh, sensi- what? Speky what?

Most docs know this stuff, its part of their medical training. However most most doctors receive no formal training in logic or reasoning, nor do most scientists. Some do, particular those with classical training before they get their main degree, and more learn on their own, but too many seem to presume that having a medical degree or whatever means they are rational.

See more popular forum discussions.