Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article on biomedical ME-research in Denmark

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kalliope, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member

Norway
    Danish Videnskab.dk writes about news from science. Today they have an article about Danish researchers who have examined mitochondria in cells from ME-patients. They are only in the beginning of their research, and say it will take years until they have finished and can publish.

Chronic fatigue can be caused by dysfunctional cells
    - Now Danish researchers found signs that there is something fundamentally wrong with their cells.
    "Our first tentative results suggest that there is a defect in the cells of some of these patients, which means that they have disrupted energy production," says one of the researchers, Rikke Olsen, an associate professor at Aarhus University's Molecular Medicine Research Unit .

- So far, the researchers isolated cells from ten patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.
    The cells are kept alive artificially in a laboratory so that scientists can experiment with them and keep track of how they react when they are exposed to drugs and various forms of stress.

Original article
    Google- translation

2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I believe this is the fourth team to report that in-vitro, cells from patients struggle with energy production under exertion or stress.

Newton, Davis, Fluge and Mella, now these Danish researchers. I hope I got this right.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    Susanna D, mango, keenly and 10 others like this.
  3. Aroa

Aroa

Spain

We Know already there is a problem with energy production, as a result of serum signalling but not a defect in the cell itself.

Hopefully, this year Ron Davis team will answer more specific questions about what molecules are the culprit ones and find effective drugs for ME treatment .

Jon_Tradicionali and keenly like this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

On the contrary, replication by multiple teams is essential in establishing credibility and making sure that these effects are real.

Augmentum, Dolphin, Diwi9 and 18 others like this.
  5. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

Uk
    We certainly need as many studies as possible to add to the body of evidence growing that shows that it's not psychological. The more teams from different countries that show this the better in my book.

Basilico, Augmentum, Webdog and 14 others like this.
  6. AndyPR

AndyPR I'm a DAD, I Donate, Advocate and Demonstrate

Hampshire, UK
    I would suggest that there is a strong possibility that patients worldwide need these replication-type studies done by scientists using their native language. We know in the UK that foreign research counts for far less under the existing NICE regime than UK research, and it wouldn't surprise me if a similar tendency is found in other countries,.

So while it may seem like a frustrating example of the wheel being reinvented, this is how good science is done, and we desperately need good science to be done.

7. Aroa

Aroa

Spain
    Yes I understand your point about the psychological issues.

I wonder how many times should it be proved that this is a physical illness :bang-head:

Webdog likes this.
  8. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Not science until it is independently replicated. Preferably several times.

Go replicators! :woot:

mango, Hutan, helen1 and 5 others like this.
  9. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
    [​IMG]

Sean, Jan, AndyPR and 2 others like this.
  10. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Loved that show.

But to post something ontopic aswell, good that things are getting replicated so often.

11. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It needs several formal published studies. There are also some contradictory observations. Newton probably only indirectly saw this when she reported reduced glucose intake in muscle cells. Davis hasn't published. Fluge and Mella did publish some observations about cell culture experiments where the saw this

I think it's fair to say that these results are preliminary and that we still have very little understanding of what is really going on with cellular metabolism. We really do need more research, and we want additional research groups to get involved.

Augmentum, mango, Sean and 8 others like this.
  12. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Yes but it's not just about psychological issues. And neither is it just about replication.

There is no much unknown, that all relevant research is welcome. Who knows what they will find. We need to encourage this type of research not dismiss it as useless.

Augmentum, Webdog, mango and 12 others like this.
  13. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Prof. Ivan Brandslund has not done work on this illness before and he thinks it's an exciting area.

This seems to the http://me-pedia.org/wiki/EUROMENE project bearing fruit.

slysaint, mango, Sean and 10 others like this.
  14. Deltrus

Deltrus Senior Member

Would be interesting if they tried replicating sauna conditions on these cells. Lack of electrolytes and high heat.

15. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

USA
    Whenever I hear the phrase "the cells were exposed to stress," I imagine someone shouting at them saying things like "You'll never amount to anything, why can't you be like your brother," or "Your wife is leaving you" or "Your check bounced."

Molly98, Jan, TiredSam and 2 others like this.
  16. AndyPR

AndyPR I'm a DAD, I Donate, Advocate and Demonstrate

Hampshire, UK
    Just spotted that Aarhus University is also the home of our "friend" Per Fink, of Karina Hasen infamy. Perhaps a possible line of advocacy there, how can the University support both someone who insists on a pyschological explanation of ME, and "treats" patients accordingly, and a team who are confirming biomedical abnormalities?

Kalliope, Jan, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  17. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Sounds like there will eventually be a showdown between the two rival schools of thought.

lilpink, Jan, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I am pleased to hear about another team conducting interesting research however I am always skeptical when I read the findings are "unpublished research".

Unless they are specifying the specific hypotheses and methods they will be using, it is not interesting.

19. Manganus

Manganus Senior Member

Canary islands
    Exactly!
    There are no reasons to discuss their results until they are published.

20. Manganus

Manganus Senior Member

Canary islands
    I don't know how universities function in the UK. I've never studied there. But outside of the UK, this is nothing surprising. Universities are not run like in the Soviet Union. Different faculties and different institutions are quite independent of eachother.

See more popular forum discussions.