May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

[ARTICLE] NAD+ biosynthesis, aging, and disease

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by nanonug, May 11, 2018.

1. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    https://f1000research.com/articles/7-132/

Abstract
    Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) biosynthesis and its regulation have recently been attracting markedly increasing interest. Aging is marked by a systemic decrease in NAD+ across multiple tissues. The dysfunction of NAD+ biosynthesis plays a critical role in the pathophysiologies of multiple diseases, including age-associated metabolic disorders, neurodegenerative diseases, and mental disorders. As downstream effectors, NAD+-dependent enzymes, such as sirtuins, are involved in the progression of such disorders. These recent studies implicate NAD+ biosynthesis as a potential target for preventing and treating age-associated diseases. Indeed, new studies have demonstrated the therapeutic potential of supplementing NAD+ intermediates, such as nicotinamide mononucleotide and nicotinamide riboside, providing a proof of concept for the development of an effective anti-aging intervention.

[​IMG]

junkcrap50, sb4 and ukxmrv like this.
  2. jpa123

jpa123

I took Life Extension NAD + and it worked for a month 3 years ago and then stopped. I felt very good on it while it worked. It hasn't worked since.

percyval577 and sb4 like this.
  3. raghav

raghav Senior Member

India
    I took Life Extension NAD+, and the first day it was fantastic from the second day onwards it made me jittery and had to stop after 5 days. Any reason why it could be due to ? Does this deplete some other chemical in the body ?

Jackb23 likes this.
  4. Eastman

Eastman Senior Member

In addition to its anti-aging role highlighted in nanonug's post, NAD+ is used in the production of ATP, and its effects here are likely to be much more immediate than its anti-aging effects, so I think they were probably what you saw. So nutrients that work with NAD+ in energy production, e.g. B1 and B2, are possible candidates for getting depleted.

5. raghav

raghav Senior Member

India
    thanks @Eastman I was and am still taking Now foods B-50.

See more popular forum discussions.