1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: Muddy Waters: XMRV and CFS

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks for another update.

A shame that things seem to be staying so murky, rather than getting clearer.

3. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    It is rather bizarre. I think we will get some clarity, though, with the article in Science from Dr. Mikovits next month.

4. dsdmom

dsdmom Senior Member

Thank you for consolidating some info - I haven't been able to get through Parvo's posts yet. Too much for me to process right now!

5. Adam

Adam *****

Sheffield UK
    Hi Cort

As always you have put together another great piece of journalism. Each article dovetailing nicely with the last. There is a but here. I bet you could sense it coming? It's the following paragraph I found out of kilter with the all the others.

I have followed Gerwyn and Kurt (and others in the HERV thread), and, whilst I admit I am more than a little biased in favour of XMRV being the cause of CFS/ME (Judy M speculates, and is clear that she is doing so, that she thinks most people with CFS/ME will have the bug) I did not find anything compelling in the pro-HERV argument. From what I can discern, using my less than scientific take on matters, this is highly speculative. It might be best to be a little more clear about this in the article, when you say, 'Kurt has brought forward another more disturbing possibility...'

I understand you wish to achieve balance, but on that basis any number of speculative theories could have made it into the article. If the pro-HERV theory is indeed gaining any credibilty, then it is incumbent upon you to cite a couple of well regarded sources (no offence to Kurt) to back this up.

6. Pat

Pat Guest

"This, of course, lead some in the patient community to wonder if the early studies wanted to find a virus."

This comment begs the question whether patients understand the scientific method.

In a scientific study, at least in those that can be trusted, the investigator(s) hypothesize a condition. I.E., do people with CFS exhibit any evidence of retroviral DNA in their blood? They then design a study that will either confirm or deny the existence of such retrovirus particles in the blood collected from their selected cohort. In a perfect world, the cohort would be selected prior to the hypothesis. Sometimes that doesn't happen, and it can indeed muddy the waters if the cohort is selected after the hypothesis is made.

However, it is my understanding that the WPI study, at least, had a group they were performing tests on prior to their XMRV discovery. So the selection effect - that is, selecting study subjects to influence the outcome - was not a factor. In fact, I believe the WPI were as surprised as anyone else to find that indeed there were retroviral particles in a large number of study participants. Maybe they were influenced by earlier work by Dr. Elaine DeFreitas to state the hypothesis. But I doubt they expected - or wanted - to find a retrovirus, one of the most difficult illnesses to treat, in their blood samples.

I cannot comment on other reports about finding XMRV, since I haven't studied them. It is hard enough for me to go through even 1 report. But I think it is important for everyone to keep the over-all scientific method in mind before commenting on whether a study is valid or not. Not replicating the exact test protocol is a definite way to dismiss a follow-up study. That's about as far as I would go to dismiss work done in other labs.

7. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    Welcome Pat. Thanks for your post.

8. oerganix

oerganix Senior Member

HERV would stick out like a sore thumb

As I recall the conversation, Kurt brought up HERVs and Gerwyn said they would stick out like a sore thumb in some of the tests done by WPI, and Kurt conceded that was true. So, I have to second Adam's comment. I didn't find anything compelling in the pro-HERV argument, at least re: the WPI research which was the subject at hand.

See more popular forum discussions.