1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: ME/CFS Protest Sparks Media Coverage

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, May 27, 2011.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

2. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Here was my comment

3. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

Thanks for highlighting this Cort! And thanks to the folks who have already written in and commented or "thumbs upped" the comments they like!

There are only about 40 comments total on the site and some have been negative [as expected unfortunately]. I would encourage more people to post comments. This is the first US ME/CFS protest in a long time and the San Francisco Chronicle is the paper of record for a major metropolitan area. More comments = more future press coverage! The SF Chronicle might do more stories but we need to let them know that this is an important issue for many people.

These folks, some of whom did not have ME/CFS but took several hours out of their busy lives to protest on my and your behalf, deserve our support! We've talked on this site in the past about how other illnesses have healthy supporters to help out. Well, here are a few of ours.

4. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

thanks for featuring this!

one correction: i have not helped to organize any protests in atlanta. a demo there will happen, i'm sure. (anyone in a position to spearhead the effort at this time? it is all so dicey with our illness, isn't it?)

you, too, can do this! we now have the material to help anyone who wants to do a protest at any of the 20 HHS and CDC regional offices around the US. we now have invites (inviting folks with me/cfs to a demo), press releases about an me/cfs demo to send the press, talking points for handing to HHS officials you manage to meet with, and other goodies we can share with any group that wants to do a demo.

and we can send you the big banner (25 feet), if you want. (or make yr own signs.)

this weekend i'll make public the video of this HHS San Francisco protest and a description of what happened there. it includes a few wonderful surprises.

thanks to all who helped get this protest off the ground, especially my able-bodied mom, in her 70s, who spearheaded the effort. and especially the people with ME/CFS who were able to come!!! i know how hard it is.

the good news is that the reporter is committed to doing more stories on ME/CFS.

i'm flat out sick as a dog from the effort this week, and i was not even physically there for it (i co-organized it from the east coast).

WE CAN CHANGE THE WORLD!!! we can do this, folks. we have to.

rivka

5. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

also, can everyone send a link to the SF Chronicle article to

Sebelius
    Collins
    Fauci
    Sebelius's PR person

will get their emails soon. i'm beat.

6. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Thank you Rivka and everyone who participated!! I posted a comment and emailed. I think it's really good to email the author of any story to make sure she sees people are interested:

eallday@sfchronicle.com

7. PANDORA

PANDORA PANDORA

A hearty Thanks to Susan, Andy and to all who participated in San Francisco. While they are demonstrating in SF, Dr. Kenneth Friedman, Rebecca Artman and I were in a meeting with the CDC. A long 5 and half-hour at times spirited, frank, engaged conversation with Dr. Beth Unger, Kim Hummell, Dana
    Brummer, John O'Connor and a facilitator to keep the meeting moving along. They are getting the message that we are not going to take the status quo laying down anymore - pun intended. We are going to stand up and send a clear, loud and persistent message that WE ARE NO LONGER INVISIBLE.

It is time for us to do a comprehensive advocacy push. An effort where we connect all the loose dots. Without we will remain mired in another 30 years of circular motion. We have to effective in our overall efforts and aim for collaborative and an unified front.

Thank you Rivka for all that you do.We at PANDORA supports you 100%!

Marly Silverman
    Endorse PANDORA on Vivint.com Gives Back Project today and every day between now and June 14. Le'ts make sure we are on the top 20 in the Eastern area of the U.S. Here is the link to endorse PANDORA - http://www.vivint.com/givesbackproject/charity/868

8. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Very well said, Marly! We must connecting the loose dots! Well, ok, the rest of it was very eloquent and spot on. Let them hear loud and clear: will not go to the back of the bus anymore!

btw, who are Kim Hummell, Dana Brummer and John O'Connor?

9. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    That sounds great Marla..we have several separate efforts moving forward..that's great to hear.

10. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Rivka
    You have my heartfelt thanks!
    I hope that you are back to baseline sooner than you expect.
    Looking forward to the video and surprises....

Denise

See more popular forum discussions.