1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: M.A.D in May: the 12 Days of May ME/CFS Advocacy Project: Day #1 - FACEBOOK DAY!

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, May 1, 2011.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

2. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

Cort, can you put in your Chase section that :

1) You do not need to be a customer of Chase to vote
    2) You do not need to be a US citizen to vote - yes, the charities are
    primarily American but people can see that the WPI and CAA's work reaches beyond US
    borders, for example:

a. WPI has plans with multiple international orgs to look at XMRV and Dr. Mikovits travels
    far and wide to talk to scientists
    b. International ME/CFS advocates and scientists used information from ME/CFS studies
    funded by the CAA, like the Stevens/Snell and Light studies showing biological
    abnormalities post-exercise, when discussing why ME/CFS is a biological rather than
    psychological illness.

I think that these two points might deter people who don't read the full rules, particularly any international ME/CFS supporters. Dolphin recently surveyed his FB contacts and 60% of the US contacts voted vs. 0% of the non-US contacts.

I hope people take a couple minutes out of their life and a few joules out of their "energy envelope" and help us win $500,000 for ME/CFS research. It's very likely that both WPI and CAA will make it to the top 100 but Round 2 is where the really big money is at.

Right now, 1,700 votes separates WPI from the top spot. Three organizations, one aimed at wolf rescue and two aimed at youth/arts, are ahead of WPI. If this happened in Round 2, those 1,700 votes mean a difference of earning WPI $500,000 vs. $200,000, a difference of $300,000 US dollars! A lot of money.
  3. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

I should also add that

1) several non-US-based/ non-US citizens have voted without issue last and this year in this
    contest
    2) one of the big winners last year was an international development non-profit and they reached
    out to their international supporters to win
  4. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Thanks Hope. Will do - that's a unfortunate misconception as of course ME/CFS research done anywhere helps everybody and Chase does not care where you are voting from.

Thanks and thanks to Dolphin for checking that out.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

No problem. Easy to do if one has a mix of FB friends (from the US/outside the US): in Chase Community Giving, look under Activity --> My Activity. People's FB friends' votes show up there. I'd be interested in seeing more data but I think the general trend seems to be there (I see it from, say, when I'm posting on Facebook groups in different countries and how many times messages (including previous ones) have been liked, commented on, etc.).

See more popular forum discussions.