1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: Light on ME/CFS III: A Different Herpes Virus for CFS? - Varicella-Zoster, Shingles and ME/

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I know they are interesting in low blood volume since it could be manifestation of sympathetic nervous system activation. I don't know if they know the blood volume status of their patients...my guess is that they don't since they haven't reported it but they do seem to be doing more and more comprehensive studies - maybe they will in the future.

2. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Ive NEVER in my life had chicken pox. What is strange about this is Ive been around LOTS of kids over time who had chicken pox.. I was at a friends house daily when it went throu her family of 5 kids. I even tried to get it at a time which would of been convienent for me when I thought I'd catch it anyway as so many I knew or their kids had it.

Many years later, I still didnt even get it when my own kids caught it. Ive never figured out why Im strangely immune to that virus.

3. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Genetic changes over the years and look at what the industrial impact of industrial pollution adn I think more than anything is the environmental impacts we we have placed on this year and it's people.

This could change how viruses work and how they effect our bodies! I would think

4. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    No chickenpox, no shingles, failed vaccination twice...

Rather the reverse. I've never had chicken pox, nor shingles. I've been vaccinated against VZV twice (required for work in hospital), but did not seroconvert either time. The infection disease experts don't know what to do with people like me. Apparently, it is pretty common to not acquire immunity to VZV from the vaccine. They tell me to not consider myself immune, i.e. not to touch people with shingles or chicken pox.I have treated patients with shingles. One poor woman had chronically active shingles. Never had any evidence of contracting the virus myself, though.

So, while I can see why VZV is a great candidate for ME causality, I'm not sure how to make it fit me (I mean myself!).

BTW, re: your back aches. I can't see a way to blame that on dorsal root ganglion infection. The pain of shingles comes when the virus that's been dormant in the ganglion is activated and viral particles migrate down the nerve to the skin or mucous membranes, causing pain, burning, numbness and little blisters. The painful symptoms often precede the vesicles.

5. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    Just got the VZV results - nothing earth-shattering - antibodies from past infection (chickenpox as kid), but just slightly elevated. So, unless it really skillfully avoids serum and hides in the dorsal ganglia or spine, another one to check off.

See more popular forum discussions.