August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article in Neurology Today: "An IOM Report Gives a New Name, New Diagnostic Criteria to CFS/ME"

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by Dolphin, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Sympathetic article

Free full text: http://journals.lww.com/neurotodayo...eport_Gives_a_New_Name,_New_Diagnostic.1.aspx

ahimsa, Cheshire, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  2. Ember

Ember Senior Member

False or misleading:

3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

My impression of the literature is this is true with regard to symptom studies.

4. duncan

duncan Senior Member

Ember, yes, misleading or flat out wrong data here and there.

But the tone...the tone struck me the right way. There was a bit of validation in that tone, I thought.

So much of what has been written has been done so dismissively or begrudgingly or condescendingly.

I thought this somehow different, and not in a nuanced way - more of an overtly matter of fact, no nonsense voice.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    Amaya2014 and worldbackwards like this.
  5. Ember

Ember Senior Member

No studies have used SEID patients.

oceiv likes this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Ok, I suppose that is literally true. But given SEID didn't exist before this came out, it's clear what they were referring to was ME/CFS.

Valentijn and worldbackwards like this.
  7. Ember

Ember Senior Member

It's misleading when the proposed clinical criteria become the research criteria retroactively.

oceiv likes this.
  8. starlily88

starlily88

Baltimore MD
    Maybe I am missing something but CFS was a one note name - we had fatigue - just like cancer people.............
    SEID - systemic exertion intolerance disease - is one note also. It is post-malaise exertion intolerance.

ME/CFS is not fatigue as is HIV, MS, Cancer. Cancer could be called Fatigue replicated cell disease.
    I know we have post-exertional malaise but that is like calling MS "muscles sheath breakdown disease"
    or myelin sheath deteriation disease (MSDD).

Recognized auto-immune diseases are short, easy for public to remember - MS, Lupus, Parkinson's, HIV, etc.

I'd be happier if it was called Methylation Block or MB. Or Glutathione Depletion or GD. OR swollen lymph nodes
    disease - SLND :jaw-drop:. Just kidding. Short term memory loss or STML :aghhh:
    I think they picked SEID because it is only thing that places like Hopkins can actually quantify.

oceiv likes this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I don't think there is sufficient evidence for the medical profession to think this was a definite aspect of the condition and also something that other people didn't have.

Valentijn and Never Give Up like this.
  10. Amaya2014

Amaya2014 Senior Member

Columbus, GA
    Dr. Natelson believes that the new name and straightforward diagnostic criteria will reduce the heterogeneity of diagnosis to some degree. “This will be much easier to use for the practicing physician,” he said.

Researchers have found that patients previously diagnosed with ME/CFS who did not have any psychiatric comorbidities were more likely to have brain abnormalities than those with such comorbidities. Dr. Natelson's current study, which is being funded by the National Institutes of Health, will conduct triple brain studies on all involved patients: lumbar punctures to assess protein and cell count, MR spectroscopy to study brain chemistry, and neuropsychological testing.

Good stuff! Thank you @Dolphin

Never Give Up, catly and Dolphin like this.

See more popular forum discussions.