• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article in journal mentions heat shock proteins and ME/CFS.

Gamboa

Below is the abstract from the journal " Cell Stress and Chaperones" in which mention is made of ME/CFS and heat shock proteins. It was published on-line July 14, 2012. Does anyone have access to the full paper?

Biomedical and Life Sciences
Cell Stress and Chaperones
2012, DOI: 10.1007/s12192-012-0352-4

Perspective and Reflection Article
Loss of stress response as a consequence of viral infection: implications for disease and therapy

Philip L. Hooper, Lawrence E. Hightower and Paul L. Hooper

Abstract

Herein, we propose that viral infection can induce a deficient cell stress response and thereby impairs stress tolerance and makes tissues vulnerable to damage. Having a valid paradigm to address the pathological impacts of viral infections could lead to effective new therapies for diseases that have previously been unresponsive to intervention. Host response to viral infections can also lead to autoimmune diseases like type 1 diabetes. In the case of Newcastle disease virus, the effects of viral infection on heat shock proteins may be leveraged as a therapy for cancer. Finally, the search for a specific virus being responsible for a condition like chronic fatigue syndrome may not be worthwhile if the disease is simply a nonspecific response to viral infection.