1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: IACFS/ME Ottawa CFS Conference Reports. XMRV I: XMRV's Big Test - The Blood Working Group S

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Nov 26, 2011.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Ta Cort. It might be worth making it clear that this is about a conference that happened a while ago, as it read a bit like a contemporary report from November 26th.

3. santi

santi

But how can be explained that the same lab gets positive one time and negative another, provided the sample is the same?

4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Nice write-up Cort. I like this even-handed distillation of information you present.

5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Thanks Cort ........the picture appears wide open still to me .......so roll on research.

6. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Yep a good summary Cort.

I think you are missing a link 'click here' at one point in your piece.

7. TessDeco

TessDeco

Thanks for keeping it real, Cort and providing factual clarity. A lot of misinformation being posted on the blogs and forums which does not help any of us.

8. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I think the explanation for this is that samples were taken from each person and then each sample was divided up several times. Each lab, if I remember correctly, tested 3 or 4 samples from the same person. Because they were all essentially the same sample theoretically they should have all tested the same. (This was just another internal test of each labs effectiveness). Depending on when they did the test the WPI and Ruscetti labs, at times, stated that the same person tested positive or negative.

Since all the samples were taken from the same person at the same time - these different internal results couldn't be accounted for by the viruses disappearing from the person as in the macaque study. They are better explained by a contaminant getting into the samples sometime while they were stored in the labs.

9. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Thanks Hip, I appreciate it. :cool:

10. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Its a very technical subject - I remember Lasker award winner Alter saying it was the most complex he had ever worked on! - I guess differences of opinion are to be expected particularly given XMRV's great promise.

11. RRM

RRM

Nice write up, Cort. I just want to correct one slip-up (that I feel needs correcting) in this indeed very technical subject:

- You write that Ruscetti, Lo/Alter and Hewlet (FDA) did perform culture testing. However, the Lo lab did not do culturing for the BWG study (or for their earlier study for that matter), they only did "standard" PCR. The FDA Hewlet lab did not perform one, but two seperate culturing assays (which, together with the Ruscetti lab, makes three in total). I guess the misunderstanding comes from the fact that the Lo lab is FDA too.

12. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Thanks very much Cort. :)

13. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    THanks RRM - good catch :)

14. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    Thanks Cort

See more popular forum discussions.