1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: Dr. Nancy Klimas Forms Neuro-Immune Institute on ME/CFS at Nova Southeastern University

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    More good news Cort - can't help feeling the Norwegian findings have focussed minds and speeded research where it is needed.
  3. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I hope so. I imagine Dr. Klimas is thinking about a Rituximab trial at the Institute...:cool:
    calzy likes this.
  4. calzy

calzy Senior Member

Naples Florida
    :D OMG:victory: OMG:D I am so excited..can you tell?:tongue:
  5. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    It is indeed time to use those happy smilies :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I think this is past due for Dr. Klimas and other CFS researcher/physicians. Wouldn't it be great to see Dr. Peterson with his own center and Dr. Bateman and others? (Check out Corinnes latest blog for Dr. Peterson's thoughts regarding that.) If the Rituximab findings get validated...if Lipkin's study turns up something....if other studies keep getting positive results - at some point these doc/researchers may become something of a hot commodity......How lovely it would be to see them get the recognition they deserve after years of hard work in the trenches.....and how great for us for them to the funds they need to do their work. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
  6. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Who better to lead a neuroimmune Institute in Florida? She's well respected, she knows EVERBODY, she's well liked - I think the Institute will become a hub not only for research but for thinking creatively about ME/CFS. I've always been impressed by how creative a thinker she is. She likes to move boldly as well - which I think is good for this field. I'll be she'll be starting initiatives left and right that will benefit the ME/CFS community.
  7. LBS

LBS Senior Member

Sacramento, CA
    Oh, more good news! This is very promising :D !
  8. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Cort - definately worried about your comment "well liked"- not the purpose of science. But what is happening now is "b....." marvellous - ME is the THING not much to do with personal likes or dislikes. Actually nothing.
  9. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Understood Enid. What I meant is that she forms partnerships really well and I think that will encourage people to participate with her at the Institute and support her. Its kind of a secondary thing relative to the Science but I think it helps :cool:
    SOC and ahimsa like this.
  10. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    Cort, do you know how much money NOVA is dedicating to this? I know this would make Dr. Klimas' work easier, fewer obstacles. More staff will make a difference. And the connections with scientists at U of M continuing is good also. I figure she is in the middle of some research now. I hope that is not interrupted. I share your hope, Cort, that these scientists finally get the respect they so richly deserve. This added to the other centers and private foundation donations recently tells me we are going mainstream. One day, we will say, "I had ME/CFS before ME/CFS was cool." While I am sure we will see the Klimas research get a boost, I am more hopeful we get the bonus of our illness taught in NOVA as part of the curriculum. Oh, what joyous results that would bring. I also hope this will attract other universities to do the same. The more centers like this, the more universities will want to create centers like this, if it is run well. I have been thinking of contacting University of Alabama in Birmingham (UAB) which includes a hospital, a college and research institutes. But we don't have a doctor or researcher here to pursue it and no support group to push it. Tina
    ukme and ahimsa like this.
  11. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    This is a dream come true. And in my lifetime.
  12. Camilla

Camilla

Not being from the US, I have a question. What ring does "College of Osteopathic Medicine" have in the States? Does it mean it's more of an alternative medicine institute? Does that bring the status down in any way?
  13. Cort

Raleigh, NC

I'm asking - but haven't gotten an answer yet on the money. From emails I've gathered that the commitment is quite substantial. I believe 5 new faculty positions will be created and one new clinic.

I like that we had ME/CFS before ME/CFS was cool

I think success does breed success. There are alot of people with CFS in the US and elsewhere plus there are even more people with FM and allied disorders and I'm guessing there are academics all over the US who would love to do something similar. Maybe someone will show up in Alabama? Or maybe someone from there will intern at the new Institute??

I'll bet the Stanford Montoya Initiative was important as researchers can say...if STANFORD is doing this - why can't we? :cool:
  14. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    I actually don't know. In my mind its a good thing as Osteopaths tend to have a broader orientation than traditional MD's and my understanding is that they are equivalent to MD's in the US and can prescribe drugs and treat patients just as any physician does.

NSU is not Harvard but I think Harvard would be a big stretch at this point. My guess is that CFS research Institutes will mostly find homes at less well known Institutions such as Univ of Nevada at Reno and NSU and then move up from there.
  15. adin

adin Administrator

This is *outstanding* news. I can't wait to see everything that she has in store in the days ahead.

Any words on Dr. Klimas' VA and private clinics? Will personnel from the old clinic be following her to the new clinic?
  16. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    this sounds good! :thumbsup:

all the best to Dr. Klimas and her team :D
  17. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    For me the clinic picture is a little confused. There are plans to open another clinic in Broward County I think - I'm really unclear as to where the clinic will be...if there will be a main clinic or a couple of satellite ones or what....
  18. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Excellent news.
  19. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    Great article Cort - very exciting! She is such a dynamo, and fascinating to watch her in action. I would love if we could all sign a card for her (similar to the Lipkin card) - would anyone be willing to get one set-up and started? I'm something of a techno-phobe. :confused:
  20. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    A card would be nice: a one-click button for donations would be even better. Is the new Institute set up to take direct donations from the public yet? It's year-end; they could maybe scoop up a few dollars at this festive time of tax-deductible donations...
    SOC likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.