1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: Dr. Mikovits on XMRV: The Sweden Talk

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Tia

Tia Senior Member

"Not being able to measure viral load has been a sticking point for those who call for treatment trials; most retrovirologists want to be able to measure how effectively anti-retro viral drugs are knocking down the virus - this test appears to give them the ability to do that." -- WOW!

"She said “if you're looking for a retrovirus and a sample has been thawed and refrozen that will break up the nucleic acids and you won't be held to find the retrovirus again”. It appears that freezing and thawing and then testing is okay but freezing and thawing and then freezing and thawing and retesting again is not okay."

This explains why they didn't find the virus in Sweden.

Good going, Cort, as always!
  2. free at last

free at last Senior Member

Is it ok to be talking about this now, as i was told it was best not to discuss the ashford 50 draws in case publication was put in jeopardy if the wpi had a chance of a future publication. If anyone could confirm if its safe for the wpi study to be discussed in this way. untill i know more on that i think it would be wise for all involved not to discuss it any further
    If it is ok to now discuss this, then i will add comments about this above qoute.
  3. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    This is an entirely new development......My guess is that if XMRV is very rare then maybe it can't handle multiple freeze/thaw episodes...that would seem to make sense to may laymen's mind ;););)
  4. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    That's a good question....Dusty Miller noticed that his 22RV1 cell line was producing a virus! So he grew it out or sequenced and there was XMRV! He said he was shocked...somehow he saw the virus in there - but that cell line is used all the time and no one has, I don't think, indicated that it is growing a virus....so I don't know how hard it is to tell.....They didn't think XMRV could infect lab mice and I don't know if they've found any that are infected but Kozak found some strains that could be infected....

- From Mice and Men article -click on XMRV menu to find

Miller, by the way, found another virus that was associated with an XMRV infected cell when he was testing it for cancer causing properties....He is sequencing and cloning that virus now...
  5. Julia Rachel

Julia Rachel

California
    Papers take time and the obvious protocol was to file the patent they did within the past 10 days.....listing important key players such as the DOD. The testing methodologies are just an astounding breakthrough.
  6. jacqui39

jacqui39

Xmrv tests

I believe the testing was done all over Britain, I went to Sheffield from Huddersfield. Not heard the result but been told they have not been finalised as yet. I was diagnosed 23yrs ago as ME but tests done at Breakspear have shown Lyme disease (I have ended up with severe arthritis -Lyme arthritis?) Will this XMRV tie in with Lyme?
    All this talk of mouse contamination could it already be in mice already. I read Dr Marys Monkey and I wouldadvise everyone to buy the book, it certainly opened my eyes to what drug comp/doctors/gov would do to cover up mistakes.
  7. Otis

Otis Señor Mumbler

USA
    After watching this video and reading something (perhaps the BPAC transcript?) I'm pretty sure that this is the DERSE cell line. My limited understanding is that itindicates a nonspecific response to Mlv-like retroviral antibody response, nonspecific meaning it would pick up the P variant as well. The antibody is florescent so it can be counted under a microscope or via more automated means to derive viral load.
  8. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    Haven't seen this posted- here's the video of Dr. Mikovits' talk in Sweden. Her talk begins at 1:01:45:
    http://vimeo.com/18048460

See more popular forum discussions.