• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Dr. Mikovits on XMRV: The Sweden Talk

"Not being able to measure viral load has been a sticking point for those who call for treatment trials; most retrovirologists want to be able to measure how effectively anti-retro viral drugs are knocking down the virus - this test appears to give them the ability to do that." -- WOW!

"She said “if you're looking for a retrovirus and a sample has been thawed and refrozen that will break up the nucleic acids and you won't be held to find the retrovirus again”. It appears that freezing and thawing and then testing is okay but freezing and thawing and then freezing and thawing and retesting again is not okay."

This explains why they didn't find the virus in Sweden.

Good going, Cort, as always!

Unfortunately it isn't correct that in the UK study our blood was taken at our home. The UK Study consisted of 50 people who somehow got to a hospital just outside of London for the blood to be drawn. The blood was then flown out that day to the US. Also it isn't correct that everybody was housbound or bedbound. None of the participants would have been bedbound, these people are still waiting to have their blood drawn.

However it is true that all the patients have true ME and I guess this is what was meant by the importance of patient selection.

Is it ok to be talking about this now, as i was told it was best not to discuss the ashford 50 draws in case publication was put in jeopardy if the wpi had a chance of a future publication. If anyone could confirm if its safe for the wpi study to be discussed in this way. untill i know more on that i think it would be wise for all involved not to discuss it any further
If it is ok to now discuss this, then i will add comments about this above qoute.

"Not being able to measure viral load has been a sticking point for those who call for treatment trials; most retrovirologists want to be able to measure how effectively anti-retro viral drugs are knocking down the virus - this test appears to give them the ability to do that." -- WOW!

"She said if you're looking for a retrovirus and a sample has been thawed and refrozen that will break up the nucleic acids and you won't be held to find the retrovirus again. It appears that freezing and thawing and then testing is okay but freezing and thawing and then freezing and thawing and retesting again is not okay."

This explains why they didn't find the virus in Sweden.

Good going, Cort, as always!

This is an entirely new development......My guess is that if XMRV is very rare then maybe it can't handle multiple freeze/thaw episodes...that would seem to make sense to may laymen's mind ;););)

Yeah thats exactly what I said. Perhaps XMRV is the reason 22Rv1 was cancerous to begin with. Also, I am pretty sure LNCaP and 22Rv1 are different lines. So just because they found XMRV in 22Rv1, doesn't mean the same is true of the LNCaP line used by WPI for their study. And I'd hope that regardless, they tested the cell line for XMRV before they tried to combine it with blood samples in culture. You have to make sure your culture medium isn't already infected before you run the culture - otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose of culturing. They did this right?

That's a good question....Dusty Miller noticed that his 22RV1 cell line was producing a virus! So he grew it out or sequenced and there was XMRV! He said he was shocked...somehow he saw the virus in there - but that cell line is used all the time and no one has, I don't think, indicated that it is growing a virus....so I don't know how hard it is to tell.....They didn't think XMRV could infect lab mice and I don't know if they've found any that are infected but Kozak found some strains that could be infected....

Kozack recently penned an paper titled ‘Common inbred strains of Laboratory Mouse are Susceptible to…..Human Derived Retrovirus XMRV”. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20943975, which states that she found three inbred laboratory mice that could be infected by XMRV.
- From Mice and Men article -click on XMRV menu to find

Miller, by the way, found another virus that was associated with an XMRV infected cell when he was testing it for cancer causing properties....He is sequencing and cloning that virus now...

Well I just have the feeling that they are finished but that the journals won't publish them b/c of all the recent contamination papers. So that's making me concerned/anxious.

Papers take time and the obvious protocol was to file the patent they did within the past 10 days.....listing important key players such as the DOD. The testing methodologies are just an astounding breakthrough.

Xmrv tests

I'm not sure how much this was 'lucky' or a 'hunch': the discovery of the XMRV-permissive LNCaP cell-line was apparently made by Dong in 2007, as referenced in the Lombardi Science paper!

I believe the testing was done all over Britain, I went to Sheffield from Huddersfield. Not heard the result but been told they have not been finalised as yet. I was diagnosed 23yrs ago as ME but tests done at Breakspear have shown Lyme disease (I have ended up with severe arthritis -Lyme arthritis?) Will this XMRV tie in with Lyme?
All this talk of mouse contamination could it already be in mice already. I read Dr Marys Monkey and I wouldadvise everyone to buy the book, it certainly opened my eyes to what drug comp/doctors/gov would do to cover up mistakes.

After watching this video and reading something (perhaps the BPAC transcript?) I'm pretty sure that this is the DERSE cell line. My limited understanding is that itindicates a nonspecific response to Mlv-like retroviral antibody response, nonspecific meaning it would pick up the P variant as well. The antibody is florescent so it can be counted under a microscope or via more automated means to derive viral load.