1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: Dollars For Research: the BIG Chase Contest Begins

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, May 18, 2011.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

2. warriorseekspeace

warriorseekspeace

Florida
    Thank you Cort, for you clear and concise explanation of why and how. Namaste,
    Kim
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Don't forget, folks, both these groups only get one shot at this. They'll never be able to enter any Chase Community Giving contests again. So if you want them to win, especially win big, try to make a big effort - which means not just voting yourself but trying to get others to vote also.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

If you have any problems voting, go to the charities' Facebook pages (or ask here) and hopefully there will be a way around it. We worked around problems in the past for the odd person.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  6. Francelle

Francelle Senior Member

Victoria, Australia
    Just wondering if autism, GWI and Lyme Disease organisations have been made aware of this voting especially in regard to WPI?
  7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

CFIDS Association of America's "BIG IDEA" for Chase Community Giving

http://on.fb.me/itklJE
    i.e.
    http://www.facebook.com/notes/the-c...at-midnight-edt-please-vote/10150260426630539
    (150 word limit)

8. Boule de feu

Boule de feu Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    Do we vote for one only or can we vote for both?
    How many times can we vote?
  9. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    You can vote for up to five charites, but can only vote for each one once. I think it would be good to only vote for CFIDS Assocition and WPI becuase we are going to be in big competition with the others. Or you could save your three votes and try to swap votes with another charity close to the end, but it should be someone that is further down the list than WPI or CAA in my opinion.
  10. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    I dropped flyers off at Dr. Lapp's office this morning to hand out to patients this week, and I will take some to the Charlotte CFS support group meeting tonight :)
  11. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Thanks Dolphin - I know there's alot of frustration towards the advocacy arm of the CAA but I think this shows that your votes will go to aid research and they are quite good at funding good research that gets major funding from the NIH (which is the name of the game)

So if you're unhappy with the CAA if you can just grit your teeth and vote your vote will go to providing more research for ME/CFS - which is, of course, our key goal. Even if you gave the CAA a 'C' grade for research it would still be worth voting for them because it is Chase, after all, that is putting the money - and we need more research - even if its not of the ground-breaking quality of XMRV.

The same is true with the WPI; XMRV is in some trouble but even if XMRV doesn't work out the WPI was still doing really innovative work with pathogens and the immune system before XMRV and it's opening that huge new clinic that promises to tie research findings to treatment.

We win by supporting both organizations
  12. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    For some reason it can be hard to get the links right for Facebook. If you enter the site from one direction - the link will send you to Chase Community not the WPI's address. I think both links are pointing to the right address now.
  13. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Hi Francelle,

I posted this message on one of the other threads earlier:

The Autism Community has stepped up. What a wonderful message of support for us!

A message from Kent Heckenlively; the autism community joins in getting votes for WPI on Chase Community Giving.

by XMRV Global Action on Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 2:00am

14. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, Cort - the WPI link works for me too now. Weird.
  15. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    That's great, shannah - so many people in their contacts list! That should make a huge difference.
  16. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Great move by the WPI! That's what its going to take to win the big money. Congratulations!
  17. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 Senior Member

USA
    Wow - a huge endorsement from the autism community - this rocks :victory:
  18. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Right now - according the Community sites the WPI has 1450 and the CAA has about 750 votes....

The WPI is in 7th place (good!) and the CAA is 25th (wah...) behind "Save a Pet" and the "Shakespeare Center of LA"
  19. monobear

monobear

California
    I posted this elsewhree but think it's worth posting her:

Everyone- please flood the WPI and CAA pages with comments about the desperate and URGENT need for this money!!! Remember- even if we don't make the top 5, Chase still picks one extra charity it deems worthy for a 200,000 dollar prize!! We need to make our organizations STAND OUT and tug at the heart strings so that the Chase advisory board sees how critical and worthy this is. They won't award that money to a group whose members' comments don't appear enthusiastic on their own voting pages. By doing this, we at least have a shot at that extra money!!!
  20. Hope123

Hope123 Senior Member

I am not Facebook-savvy but I hope someone that is can post on Gulf War Illness groups on Facebook to urge them to vote for the CAA and WPI. In particular the WPI has Gulf War Illness in its portfolio of illnesses to focus on and the CAA has sponsored research by Drs. Gordon Broderick, Nancy Klimas and James Baraniuk that also affects GWI.

You can refer GWI folks to this site and tell them to read page 8 to see how GWI and CFS are related:
    http://cdmrp.army.mil/pubs/pips/gwirppip.pdf

See more popular forum discussions.