Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: Does Science Media Centre Promote Corporate Views of Science?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Webdog, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

Some investigative reporting on the Science Media Center. Mentions ME/CFS. Quite a bit of interesting info in the full article.

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    My answer to the title is a little rhetorical, and classic. Is the Pope Catholic? I wouldn't want to argue that the SMC is always promoting their sponsors, but it has been reported in the regular media more than a few times that they have done this, and the last article I can vaguely recall reading some years back referred to at least five times they have been caught.

When in doubt I tend to think of the UK SMC as a public relations firm, not a neutral media firm.

3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Those who pay the PR piper call the tune.

Apart from which, as I have said before, I think the whole notion of a single source for 'approved' information about science is utter madness, just ripe for exploitation and abuse.

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    ... but just right for authoritarian dictates.

5. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Turn the question on its head: "What, seriously, is the probability the SMC does not promote corporate and government interests?" Close to zero would be my suggestion.

6. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Oh, good grief! :bang-head:

I seem to recall another revolutionary group that decided the real action was in the media...

WARNING! LOTS OF LOUD PROFANITY! (but it did win Best Original Screenplay :))

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I would also add that the SMC was funded by at least one university of a principal PACE author in the past, during which time its coverage was especially biased and aggressive in attacking patients. Their more recent coverage, after several years with no funding from PACE, was much more neutral and included some decent criticism of whatever psychobabble they were covering.

So they think they're unbiased because they don't let one corporation buy them substantially more than the other corporations can? :confused: Those payments still represent a pretty huge conflict of interest - one which I don't recall them ever declaring in their little press releases.

8. Sean

Sean Senior Member

5% of your income is not small change.

9. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I didn't think that this was a very good article. A shame, as I think a detailed look of how the SMC treated CFS and PACE would totally discredit them.

10. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

The other 80 did have all the necessary qualifications and were also lobbyists for and CEOs of industry groups as well.

11. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

Critics of SMC have inlcuded George Monbiot, Jonathan Matthews, Don Maisch. & Zac Goldsmith. Goldsmith presumably is anti SMC due toGM crops, pesticides & the agro-chemical military complex which fund the SMC.

Zac Goldmsith is back in Parliament...I have contacted a PWME in his constituency with this article....

Not a big fan of his (London Mayoral election & racism) but your enemy's enemy is your friend.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  12. Demepivo

Demepivo Dolores Abernathy

Update: my contact lives in the neighbouring constituency where Vince Cable is the MP.

There does seem to be an active ME group in Richmond, they hosted the MEA Q&A a few years ago. I'll get in contact with them.

Luther Blissett and ukxmrv like this.
  13. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I rather liked it. Mainly because it's nice to know that it's not just us trying to tell the world how appalling the SMC is, and that we may have common cause with people who actually have a chance of being listened to.

14. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I thought it just compiled a few sources, not all of which were great. I think that I have done some extensivce SMC googling over the years though.

TiredSam likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.