• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Breathing Deep with Valtrex: A Patient Improves

I've been in a wired but tired, unable to calm down state ever since I got ME/CFS many years ago. Its puzzled me from the beginning but it wasn't until I tried the Amygdala Retraining and looked at meditative techniques that I understand that I can slow my system down. Its slow but I've found these kinds of approaches very effective in improving the quality of my life and even, at this point, increasing my tolerance of 'exercise' a bit'.;)

T
Thanks for this Cort! I have started the Amygdala Training with Gupta. I am only up to session 4 and it looks like that one is going to take awhile.Margaret

J
Thank you for writing this, Janet, and I hope you continue to improve. Concerning Valtrex, I take VERY high doses -- eight grams a day, under the supervision of Dr. A. Martin Lerner of Beverly Hill, MI. He bases the dose on body weight, and I am quite heavy (240 pounds), so most of his patients take less than I do. I have been on this dose for about ten months. I feel the Valtrex is helping me a lot. I am still ill, but I'm much better than when I started. If you have problems paying for Valtrex, there is a company in India that makes a generic version, and you can buy it without a prescription from www.overseasrxdrugs.com I have purchased various drugs from this company, and they have been very reliable. (Shipping takes about 3 weeks.) I can't really say if the generic valacyclovir from India works as well as the name-brand Valtrex (my symptoms fluctuate too much to tell), but I have taken the generic valacyclovir from India for short periods with no ill effects. Also, I believe it is possible to buy brand-name Valtrex from Canada at a lower cost than in the US. If you would like to find a legitimate Canadian pharmacy, I recommend www.pharmacychecker.com They are a very reputable rater of overseas pharmacies. (PharmacyChecker only recommends pharmacies that require prescriptions, so I don't think they recommend www.overseasrxdrugs.com)

Wow, 8 grams. I have never heard of taking that much. Glad it is helping you JudyS. It took me a while to really realize I was better because I was so weak. I still can't do anywhere close to what a normal person can do, but I am much better than I was. I can appear normal for short periods of time, but I can't sustain it. And if I try it takes me days and sometimes weeks to recover my energy. My husband just changed jobs and the insurance he has with this new job pays 100% after $1000 out of pocket. I hit that after the first month and a half, so till next Oct. all my prescriptions are free. This is the best insurance we have ever had. Between the Valtrex, which cost me about $800 that first month and the growth hormoane, and the compounded hormones I am on, my expenses for medication have always been high. I have been lucky to have some kind of insurance most of the time I have been sick. But we did go through a bankruptcy at one point due to medical as I know many of us have.

Wired but tired "fix"

I've been in a wired but tired, unable to calm down state ever since I got ME/CFS many years ago. Its puzzled me from the beginning but it wasn't until I tried the Amygdala Retraining and looked at meditative techniques that I understand that I can slow my system down. Its slow but I've found these kinds of approaches very effective in improving the quality of my life and even, at this point, increasing my tolerance of 'exercise' a bit'.;)

Cort- I used to be wired but tired until a CFS doctor told me to take Phosphatidyl Serine. It's been several years since I have taken it, but I believe I took 200 mgs. It is a calming amino acid. A side benefit I found was that I started to dream and have "cartoon" dreams- very creative stuff, which I am not normally creative at all. When I took it I felt peaceful. Don't know if it will work for you too, but I thought I would put it out there.
Aepalisades