1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: Australian CFS Science Symposium Overview by Rosamund Vallings

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Glynis Steele

Glynis Steele Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    I see. Birmingham Hospital can test for it. It is the only NHS hospital I could find on-line that offer the test. They are a lovely bunch there, too. If a test were positive they would phone the gp, and insist on an urgent GI referral, for treatment. The (nigh on impossible) task would be to get a dr to look into dla as being implicated in CFS. I don't know if the Sheedy/De Meirleir paper, together with dla papers would sway them, even though there is a very strong symptom overlap.

Thanks for your reply, take care.

Glynis
  2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Glynis - this does not start in the bowels - that came later I,m pretty certain - swollen glands flu like symptoms, declining cognitive abilities first with unnatural tiredness, muscles into spasm should hold a key. It always was and is viral. However if you can, read and follow the very best available (your own instincts) in the UK. Some do aid.
  3. Glynis Steele

Glynis Steele Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    I understand, Enid, I have posted on the d-lactic thread how dla might occur following a viral infection. It is described in a calf model, but the author states:

"The mechanism is likely similar to that documented for D-lactic acidosis in SBS in humans except the etiology of the malabsorption is viral infection–induced villous atrophy rather than surgical removal of the small intestine. "

Then he goes on to say:

"There is a possibility, although it has not been described, that a similar scenario could occur in diarrheic monogastrics, including humans. Villous atrophy and malabsorption certainly occur in humans suffering from viral diarrhea, but whether there is sufficient fermentation to cause excess D-lactate to accumulate is not known. Metabolic acidosis was identified in human rotaviral diarrhea, and was attributed to carbohydrate malabsorption; however, the identity of the acids was not determined."

Obviously this is still in the context of a known bowel problem, just found it thought provoking considering the Sheedy paper.

Best Wishes

Glynis x
  4. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
    This is good stuff and a good read. very reassuring that we have so many great people from around the world working on ME/CFS. Don't anyone worry, the truth is near!
  5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

FROM CORT'S ARTICLE: "Notice that the basal ganglia in the brain shows up several times (this is not the first time)."

More on the basal ganglia:

I was amazed when I read once that the drug pramipexole (Mirapex), normally used for Parkinson's disease or restless legs syndrome, does occasionally completely cure fibromyalgia (completely cure means just that: you no longer have fibromyalgia, and you no longer need to take pramipexole or any other drugs, as the fibro has gone).

Pramipexole acts on the substantia nigra (a component of the basal ganglia), so this seems to again link the basal ganglia with CFS/Fibro.
  6. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    This was provided me by someone who worried that patient 2 referred to Sophia Mirza and she provided Sophia's story in case some people thought it did

7. MDL

MDL

8. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    So sad that Sophia Mirza's mother even now needs to defend her daughter against the bull crap out there :( ... i recognised it too as probably being Sophia. Its so wrong the attitude out there regarding CFS/ME among those who dont have a clue about it.

Australia has held some great Symposiums here, I really wish this info would fiter thou to our doctors thou as so many of us are getting crap here with our doctors.

(I found out yesterday not only had the doctor at the Flinders Medical Centre hospital in Adelaide told my mother I'd grow out of things .. (yeah sure, Im 39!!).. but also told my mother that I just need to get a grip on myself :( ).
  9. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Oh Tanya...<sigh> I'm so sorry.
    What a buncha baloney!
    Yes, let's all just get a grip on ourselves now. That's how to beat a multi-systemic neuro-immune disease! No funding needed,
    just a better grip. What were we thinking?
  10. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    I see so much daily locally in simple medical care - ambulance for a child in school next door - and quietly curse the whole grand structure of Uk medicine who should know more, especially with all the trusting innocents around them who trust in them.

See more popular forum discussions.