1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: Australian CFS Science Symposium Overview by Rosamund Vallings

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

2. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Choline on the Brain

This is from an article I wrote about increased choline findings in the brain in ME/CFS

http://www.aboutmecfs.org/Rsrch/CholineBrain.aspx

3. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Brainstem

Here's from a Baraniuk Paper - Spinal Tapping for ME/CFS

http://www.aboutmecfs.org/News/BrainProteomeMar10.aspx

4. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Marvellous news Cort - thanks for posting. At last seems to tackle all the problems one intuitively knows/experiences in ME. All the world ahead of the UK now. Well done Oz.:D Still stuck in maladaptive behaviour here.
  5. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    A lot of information!! Appears that they are getting closer and closer. I believe sometime in the 26th century there will be a such thing as "money for research!"
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Rosamund, thanks for this summary.

I find the MRI of the brainstem issue a little worrying. Reduced white matter volume means less connection between nerve cells. This implies less coordination of autonomic regulation at a physiological level. While it is theoretically reversible, since the nerves aren't gone, it will require a lot of time and hard work (rehab) to restore them. Worse, there is probably not enough research in this area to suggest how to rehab this system. So even with a "cure", there will still be autonomic dysregulation.

I find it amusing that the research is now moving back to where I was at in the 90s. Autonomic dysregulation was a big thing with my doctor/researcher back then, and he had been tracking and treating autonomic dysregulation in ME/CFS since the late 80s. Nobody would listen to him however, and his published papers didn't even make a splash.

It is also amusing that he showed symptom variation in women depending on hormone cycles, in the late 90s. The research world is finally starting to catch up to where he was, but it still has a way to go. His name: Dr. Andriya Martinovic, Brisbane, Australia.

Bye
    Alex

PS I tried posting this earlier, but as it looked like crashing I cut and pasted my comment. Sure enough, it crashed.
  7. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Here's the first subset I think - the herpesvirus/viral subset. This is what the CDC, in particular, has missed all these years. And how interesting about all this auto-immune stuff that starts showing up - active EBV somehow triggers antibodies directed at a thyroid enzyme....there's the apparent Rituximab success - either at dampening down auto-immune processes or herpesvirus infections....The CAA tried to get grants for TWO auto-immune studies that were just loaded with new investigators.....this thing seems like its teetering on the edge..

Not alot of co-infections, thank god - just finding out who in the 30% has what and trying to treat them.....Obviously we need more studies...if this is going to get out - it has to be published, which Montoya is apparently about to do.
  8. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    That is just too funny

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hope earlier - if the State of the Knowledge conference digs into this kind of stuff - we're in good shape I think
  9. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Are we actually getting a post-exertional malaise - the BIGGIE in ME/CFS? (Look at what the Pacific Fatigue lab has done - exercise challenges are re-writing the research map in CFS; making people with ME/CFS exercise is how you get measurable results - too bad they didn't figure that out 20 years ago but now they have.....)

Exercise produces an inflammatory cascade that wipes out natural killer cells ability to function (and probably T cells as well - since they use perforin too)...

It appears to freak out IL-1. Here's what Il-1 does: it causes a wide spectrum of metabolic, physiological, haematopoietic activities, and plays one of the central roles in the regulation of the immune responses. (Bye-bye homeostasis :)). Although there are many interactions of IL-1α with other cytokines, the most consistent and most clinically relevant is its synergism with TNF. (the big bad pro-inflammatory cytokine) There are, in fact, few examples in which the synergism between IL-1α and TNFα has not been demonstrated. These include radioprotection, the Shwartzman reaction, PGE2 synthesis, sickness behavior, nitric oxide production, nerve growth factor synthesis, insulin resistance, loss of mean body mass, and IL-8 and chemokine synthesis.[14] (So many connections)

10. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    She didn't even NEED to do an exercise challenge to get at NPY; imagine what she'll find when she makes people with ME/CFS hop up on a bike! NPY is associated with irritability and aggressiveness - my irritability goes through the rough when I exercise too much. My body feels hot and angry.......I imagine my NPY levels are through the roof which makes sense since exercise will trigger SNS activity.
  11. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I have noticed an immense anger in me, that sometimes surfaces. I have attributed it to the fact I am frustrated I am sick (I didn't feel this anger before I got sick). But maybe the sickness is actually causing part of the anger... interesting.
  12. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    I too recall the emotion side being very much involved. Sometimes actually "witnessing" an anger surge for no apparent reason (as if some mechanism in the brain is malfunctioning). And again the reverse and for no apparent reason "witnessing" (not depressed) but sudden onset streaming eyes and nose - all associated with sorrow out of control. Frankly too tired (sleeping mostly) to find the emotion to be sorry about anything at all at the time.
  13. Glynis Steele

Glynis Steele Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    Lol, have you read the d-lactic thread? Anger is commonly reported, irritability, abusive behaviour, as well as the usual, lethargy etc

Glynis
  14. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Good idea Glynis - its past time to do that.

:innocent1::innocent1::innocent1::innocent1::innocent1:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  15. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Can I add that although disabled from reactives (my Neurologist said so - Osteoarthritis - until viral research finds which) impairment to brain function is reversible. From not being able to recall my own name to conversing here (plus the Times Crossword now) is evidence.
  16. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Oh yes and treating it, ME much more than that, no particular gut problems at onset, came later. Not abusive I hope?
  17. Glynis Steele

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    Enid, do you mean you have tested positive for dla? Deffo not abusive :D Who tested you for it, a GI?
  18. Glynis Steele

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    Hi Cort,

Yay, hope someone "goes for it". They would need to be tested as late in the day as poss, as dla builds up during the day, after each carb containing meal, carbing up is good too. And to check the path lab can test for it, as a lot can't. Needs a d-lactate assay kit.

Best

Glynis
  19. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Congratulations ENID! How did you do it?
  20. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    We are tested for very little here. Just NHS basics. So one is left from very early on to try to understand all the escalating symptoms and aid oneself (plus family etc) Now I,m able to eat I treat acidosis with good proprietries knowing it is an aid only.

See more popular forum discussions.