1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article - AAFP - treat causes of chronic illness not symptoms

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by xchocoholic, Jul 19, 2011.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/...w/annual-assembly/20071005chronicillness.html

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Well, daaah, I came to this same conclusion in the late 80s. Its why I got into systems theory. Complexity is the issue, doctors typically try to simplify to clear cut choices, not by finding critical pathways to regulate, but by eliminating possibilities. Such elimination may well eliminate critical options to help treat the patient. I am glad to see the push into systems biology. It where I was targeting my career but never had the health to pursue. Bye, Alex
  3. richvank

richvank Senior Member

Amen and Bravo!

Rich
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Treating symptoms can help stabilise the patient, for awhile and thats when the treatment of me/cfs falls apart, alot also has to do with proper testing and then being able to treat these abnormalities, which is why i think that testing nk function isnt common because at the end of the day, whats a gp going to do about it. Thats why we are all running around chasing our tails throwing down every dam vitamin herbal concoction thats suppose to help our immune system and there no real testing to see if any of its helping only our subjective response, which makes treating cfs more an art form then a science.

cheers!!!
  5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    I look at the approach taken by traditional medicine as if they were treating each individual leaf of a dying plant.

Instead of simply providing the plant with the nutrients it needs to grow, they disect each leaf and examine it under a microscope. Then give each condition they find a name aka diagnosis.

Then they either treat what they found via drugs or surgery or say they don't know to treat it.

MEANWHILE ... the plant dies ...

In contrast - Holistic, functional or integrative practitioners would feed and water the plant ..

tc ... x

See more popular forum discussions.