• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: A psychosomatic diagnosis is a doctor’s way of saying, “I don’t have a clue”

An article in Quartz by Jamison Hill
For the last six years, I have fought to legitimize an illness widely—and erroneously—believed to be “all in your head.”

I have myalgic encephalomyelitis, a debilitating multi-system disease that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention conservatively estimates afflicts more than one million Americans. It is commonly known as chronic fatigue syndrome, a truly trivializing name that belittles what I and other sufferers live with. (Though it is preferable to the condescending term “yuppie flu.”) Doctors have told many people with the disease—including myself—that there is no treatment, and more often, that what we are experiencing is merely a manifestation of the mind.

The latter is the basis for psychosomatic theory, which is the idea that the mind can produce diseases. Diseases commonly thought to be psychosomatic—such as irritable bowel syndrome and Crohn’s disease—can pummel a healthy, thriving member of society without any indication of how. This theory became popular in the US in the early 20th century; Sigmund Freud is the most well-known name associated with it, who maintained that “hysteria” could cause any number of physical illnesses.

Hutan

Nice article.

There is hope, however. After all, multiple sclerosis and autism have managed to transcend the stigma of outmoded psychosomatic theory. But until the government and medical establishment realizes that psychosomatic theory has no place in modern medicine, diseases like mine will continue to be stigmatized, trivialized, and dismissed.

Hmm, I heard on the radio today that some study has proved that heart attacks are caused by chronic stress. Activity in the amygdalas of people was measured over time and those people with the most amygdala activity were the most likely to have a heart attack.

Here's a link.
http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38584975

I have no doubt that the study can be picked apart. For example, the part of the study linking amygdala activity, stress levels and inflammation had only 13 patients. But it's clearly too good a story to let sample size get in the way.

So, although multiple sclerosis and autism may have 'managed to transcend the stigma of outmoded psychosomatic theory', it looks as if the new improved version of psychosomatic theory (now with brain scans!!) will manage to claim virtually all illnesses.

Thereby creating enormous demand for CBT practitioners and more knighthoods for CBT proponents.

A.B.

it looks as if the new improved version of psychosomatic theory (now with brain scans!!) will manage to claim virtually all illnesses.

It can't be too hard to find some brain activity patterns that correlate with the disease. Then they can simply do the same old trick of claiming that this pattern is the biological expression of some psychological problem. After all, they are experts in psychosomatic illness and know these things, and who are we anyway to question them.

Psychosomatic claims are the God explanation in disguise. It is always possible to postulate some ultimate supernatural cause of anything, regardless of how much scientific knowledge advances. And if you dress that claim up in nice persuasive language, it can become accepted as the norm.

Last edited:
It can't be too hard to find some brain activity patterns that correlate with the disease. Then they can simply do the same old trick of claiming that this pattern is the biological expression of some psychological problem. After all, they are experts in psychosomatic illness and know these things, and who are we anyway to question them.

Psychosomatic claims are the God explanation in disguise. It is always possible to postulate some ultimate supernatural cause of anything, regardless of how much scientific knowledge advances. And if you dress that claim up in nice persuasive language, it can become accepted as the norm.

It has struck me more and more forcefully recently that a lot of the people pushing psychosomatic models and psychological treatments for ME show all the signs of religious zealots. And all the more dangerous as a result.

It's all about what they believe, and if only we would follow them and believe too we would be saved, and if we don't believe and follow we deserve eternal damnation and it's our own fault if we don't see the light....

See this thread which is full of information about stuff like 'acceptance and commitment therapy' being pushed in the UK with religious zeal and seems wholly based on such nonsense:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...pening-across-the-uk.48710/page-7#post-802351

Edit: Sorry, that was a bit off topic. Thanks to Jamieson Hill for an excellent article.

Last edited:

SuzieSam

I wonder how many of us have actually seen psychiatrists, and been told such nonsense? It seems to be doctors in entirely unrelated disciplines, Weasley notwithstanding, who trot out this insulting line.

I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! Best psychosomatic line I heard, when my daughter was in agony with fibro and spent the whole summer in bed or on the couch instead of in the pool or on the beach? "She's a bit theatrical, isn't she?" <cocked eyebrow>

You'd be crying too, if you were 9 years old and in this state, Bitch.

Invisible Woman

Sigmund Freud has caused incommensurable suffering for the last 100 years, i wish he never existed

and...

wonder how many of us have actually seen psychiatrists, and been told such nonsense? It seems to be doctors in entirely unrelated disciplines, Weasley notwithstanding, who trot out this insulting line.

Yeah, Freud may have started it all but don't forget those doctors who are (allegedly) learned and well educated. If they continue to be prejudiced or ignorant then that is their choice. Prejudice and bigotry is bad enough from someone who knows no better but, hopefully, has the capacity to learn. From someone who does no better but chooses to be this way...

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
and...

Yeah, Freud may have started it all but don't forget those doctors who are (allegedly) learned and well educated. If they continue to be prejudiced or ignorant then that is their choice. Prejudice and bigotry is bad enough from someone who knows no better but, hopefully, has the capacity to learn. From someone who does no better but chooses to be this way...
what I don't get is, if all doctors are SO INTERESTED in psychology that most of their diagnosis rely on it, why didn't they study psychology instead of medicine in the first place? hasn't anybody wondered that at some point like me?

what I don't get is, if all doctors are SO INTERESTED in psychology that most of their diagnosis rely on it, why didn't they study psychology instead of medicine in the first place? hasn't anybody wondered that at some point like me?

Maybe people study medicine because it's better paid and has more prestige than psychology, then they find the physical medicine is too complicated and difficult, so they move into psychiatry where they can make up theories that can't be proved or disproved and they can stop trying to remember the hard stuff like biochemistry and physiology (BPS).

Or maybe it's a field in which they can play power games. Or maybe they want to understand their own screwed up heads....

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
Maybe people study medicine because it's better paid and has more prestige than psychology, then they find the physical medicine is too complicated and difficult, so they move into psychiatry where they can make up theories that can't be proved or disproved and they can stop trying to remember the hard stuff like biochemistry and physiology (BPS).

Or maybe it's a field in which they can play power games. Or maybe they want to understand their own screwed up heads....
good explanations! I'm inclined towards the difficulty issue

A.B.

I have a family member that is doctor (internal medicine) and also fond of psychosomatic explanations. I think he likes them because it lets him play the role of the doctor that is always right, smart and insightful (in contrast to the dumb patient). So it seems to be an ego thing. Possibly the result of a culture in medicine that does not allow acknowleding uncertainty, or fails to prepare doctors for complex cases.

Last edited: