Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: A psychosomatic diagnosis is a doctor’s way of saying, “I don’t have a clue”

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by AndyPR, Jan 13, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

An article in Quartz by Jamison Hill

SuzieSam, lauluce, moosie and 20 others like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Pretty well. Charcot actually originated the idea so far as I can tell, and he was Freud's teacher.

3. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
  4. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

I suspect, for many doctors, it's only partly "I don't have a clue".

It's more a way of saying "Get out of my exam room".

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  5. AndyPR

AndyPR Senior Member

6. Hutan

Hutan Senior Member

New Zealand
    Nice article.

Hmm, I heard on the radio today that some study has proved that heart attacks are caused by chronic stress. Activity in the amygdalas of people was measured over time and those people with the most amygdala activity were the most likely to have a heart attack.

Here's a link.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38584975

I have no doubt that the study can be picked apart. For example, the part of the study linking amygdala activity, stress levels and inflammation had only 13 patients. But it's clearly too good a story to let sample size get in the way.

So, although multiple sclerosis and autism may have 'managed to transcend the stigma of outmoded psychosomatic theory', it looks as if the new improved version of psychosomatic theory (now with brain scans!!) will manage to claim virtually all illnesses.

Thereby creating enormous demand for CBT practitioners and more knighthoods for CBT proponents.

lauluce, SuzieSam, Woolie and 6 others like this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

It can't be too hard to find some brain activity patterns that correlate with the disease. Then they can simply do the same old trick of claiming that this pattern is the biological expression of some psychological problem. After all, they are experts in psychosomatic illness and know these things, and who are we anyway to question them.

Psychosomatic claims are the God explanation in disguise. It is always possible to postulate some ultimate supernatural cause of anything, regardless of how much scientific knowledge advances. And if you dress that claim up in nice persuasive language, it can become accepted as the norm.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    lauluce, SuzieSam, antherder and 10 others like this.
  8. adreno

adreno PR activist

It's a doctor's way of saying: "you're weak, it's your own fault you are sick."

9. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

It has struck me more and more forcefully recently that a lot of the people pushing psychosomatic models and psychological treatments for ME show all the signs of religious zealots. And all the more dangerous as a result.

It's all about what they believe, and if only we would follow them and believe too we would be saved, and if we don't believe and follow we deserve eternal damnation and it's our own fault if we don't see the light....

See this thread which is full of information about stuff like 'acceptance and commitment therapy' being pushed in the UK with religious zeal and seems wholly based on such nonsense:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...pening-across-the-uk.48710/page-7#post-802351

Edit: Sorry, that was a bit off topic. Thanks to Jamieson Hill for an excellent article.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  10. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

I really think its a doctors way of saying I don't have a clue plus I know everything, all in the same head space.

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Or a way of expressing the false belief that they have a clue when they don't.

alex3619, GreyOwl, ukxmrv and 21 others like this.
  12. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

As well as "I don't give a d**n".

13. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    Sigmund Freud has caused incommensurable suffering for the last 100 years, i wish he never existed

14. SuzieSam

SuzieSam Senior Member

Israel
    I wonder how many of us have actually seen psychiatrists, and been told such nonsense? It seems to be doctors in entirely unrelated disciplines, Weasley notwithstanding, who trot out this insulting line.

I hate it, I hate it, I hate it! Best psychosomatic line I heard, when my daughter was in agony with fibro and spent the whole summer in bed or on the couch instead of in the pool or on the beach? "She's a bit theatrical, isn't she?" <cocked eyebrow>

You'd be crying too, if you were 9 years old and in this state, Bitch.

15. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

and...

Yeah, Freud may have started it all but don't forget those doctors who are (allegedly) learned and well educated. If they continue to be prejudiced or ignorant then that is their choice. Prejudice and bigotry is bad enough from someone who knows no better but, hopefully, has the capacity to learn. From someone who does no better but chooses to be this way...

Solstice, antherder, lauluce and 4 others like this.
  16. lauluce

argentina
    what I don't get is, if all doctors are SO INTERESTED in psychology that most of their diagnosis rely on it, why didn't they study psychology instead of medicine in the first place? hasn't anybody wondered that at some point like me?

Molly98 and Invisible Woman like this.
  17. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

Maybe people study medicine because it's better paid and has more prestige than psychology, then they find the physical medicine is too complicated and difficult, so they move into psychiatry where they can make up theories that can't be proved or disproved and they can stop trying to remember the hard stuff like biochemistry and physiology (BPS).

Or maybe it's a field in which they can play power games. Or maybe they want to understand their own screwed up heads....

18. lauluce

argentina
    good explanations! I'm inclined towards the difficulty issue

trishrhymes likes this.
  19. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I have a family member that is doctor (internal medicine) and also fond of psychosomatic explanations. I think he likes them because it lets him play the role of the doctor that is always right, smart and insightful (in contrast to the dumb patient). So it seems to be an ego thing. Possibly the result of a culture in medicine that does not allow acknowleding uncertainty, or fails to prepare doctors for complex cases.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Sidereal, Solstice, Sean and 10 others like this.
  20. duncan

duncan Senior Member

I tend to find those who offer up psychosomatic explanations are lazy intellectuals, or intellectual wannabies, or people who are fond of soap operas.

See more popular forum discussions.