1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Article: A Hitch in its Step: PACE Trial Indicates CBT/GET No Cure For CFS, 60% of Patients Show No

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Posted on Co-Cure:

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I just got this.

I'm afraid I won't have time to look at the blogs but maybe other people will look at one or more.

If you're not on Facebook, the links would hopefully work if you knock off the Facebook bit right up till the part of the URL that has a .com in it (not the .com beside Facebook).

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    How valid is the model behind cognitive behavior therapy

Hi, on the PACE trial results:

http://www.iacfsme.org/BULLETINSUMM...tenPrinsEvaluation8289/tabid/436/Default.aspx

HOW VALID IS THE MODEL BEHIND COGNITIVE BEHAVIOR THERAPY FOR CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME? AN EVALUATION OF THE ADDITIONAL DATA FROM THE TRIAL BY PRINS ET AL.

B. Stouten 1*, PhD
    Ellen M. Goudsmit 2, PhD FBPsS

ABSTRACT

The cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) program studied by Prins et al. is based on a model of chronic fatigue syndrome that posits that fatigue and functional impairment are perpetuated by physical inactivity, somatic attributions, focusing on bodily symptoms and a low sense of control. A recent analysis of the data from three trials based on a model devised by Vercoulen et al. concluded that the effect of CBT on fatigue could not be attributed to a persistent increase in physical activity. We therefore examined the effect of treatment on the remaining three variables in the model using data from one of the trials, available in the public domain. The results from the groups given CBT, Guided Support and treatment as usual revealed that CBT had no significant impact on somatic attributions and focusing on bodily symptoms, and that in line with established guidelines, these two variables were not mediating factors. The only variable in the model showing an effect of CBT was sense of control. We submit that there is now sufficient evidence to warrant a review of CFS guidelines which advocate interventions aimed particularly at increasing physical activity and challenging somatic attributions, and that more flexible programs which address loss of control deserve further consideration and evaluation.

Bye
    Alex

ps This was originally announced on Co-Cure but I deleted the entry and so can't credit it. The above information comes directly from the iacfsme site.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.