1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Arthritic type pain in hands

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by sregan, Jun 27, 2014.

1. sregan

sregan Senior Member

Southeast
    My hands are really hurting suddenly esp. in the middle knuckle area. I recently started SMP again but don't know if this has any thing to do. Anyone experience this?
  2. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Making the most of it

Australia
    I have random arthritic type pains in my fingers. Not sure what the cause is. Exploring whether it is a reaction to certain foods.

I didn't have this problem before ME.

Hope you find an answer.
  3. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I started getting pain in my hands 7 years ago after playing a lot of video games, but the pain continued for several years after I stopped. I guess partially because I had to move 3 times and maybe I spent too much time at the computer.

I haven't really found the cause or how to treat the pain other than limiting activities. The past few years I've been relatively pain free until about 6 months ago. Now the pain is back with no end it sight. I just try to stay off the computer as much as possible. I've tried supplements for inflammation and collagen rebuilding (which were recommended by Stephen Buhner for Lyme), but they didn't seem to help so I stopped taking most of them.
    Wayne likes this.
  4. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Does it feel the same in both hands? Does it feel hot to the touch? Are they swollen at all? If the answer is yes to any of these questions, I would look into Rheumatoid Arthritis.
  5. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Perhaps you should research undenatured collagen 2 I think it is called, it supposedly helps with arthritis.

GG
  6. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @sregan
    if it started after taking a supplement its probably a reaction to that.
    I just started taking pycnogenol and grape seed extract, I also started having sharp arthritic pains in my fingers at bedtime? So I know its one of those causing it.
  7. sregan

sregan Senior Member

Southeast
    worse in one hand than the other. the worse has has a recent injury though from about six months ago.
  8. sregan

sregan Senior Member

Southeast
    I think it's because of methylation supps. Freddd mentions an increasing of inflammation when taking MFolate. Especially if it's too little mfolate.
  9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Senior Member

Scotland
    @Neilk. I've had pain in all the joints you would expect to get RA in. It's symmetrical but not always simultaneously symmetrical - the pain on either side can be separated by several days. Also it's usually not intensely painful although sometimes I'm helpless with the pain; fortunately these occasions have always been brief. I was very interested that you stated if the answer was yes to one of three (both sides / hot / swollen) then it could be RA. My GP is thinking osteo because I don't have any heat. I don't mean to put you on the spot as the resident RA expert but I'd be interested in anything you have to say about this.
  10. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    I was diagnosed with RA 7 months ago, although I had symptoms for a year and a half.

I would suggest a blood test for RA factor as well as anti-cpp.
    Scarecrow likes this.
  11. daisybell

daisybell Senior Member

New Zealand
    I had severe pain in the joints in my hands as part of my symptoms of parvovirus. It took about 18 months to settle down...
  12. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    Methylation in general can cause inflammation. I don't think it has anything to do with not enough methylfolate.
  13. Uno

Uno Senior Member

Brighton, United Kingdom
    Krill Oil really helps with this pain and inflammation
  14. Lou

Lou Senior Member

southeast US

Agree. Have no idea of mechanism but if I take too much Vit C I get arthritic type pain in one or both hands(back of hand approx. midway between wrist and big knuckle).

When this happens a copper bracelet(the only use I have for it) usually relieves symptom within thirty minutes.
  15. Tunguska

Tunguska

There's one article that links pycnogenol to copper chelation, but it's been withdrawn... ? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19875267 Weird. Hope this is legal:
    Read some accounts of Vitamin C affecting joints elsewhere, loosely mentioning copper. Maybe that's a lead...
    Lou likes this.
  16. Tunguska

Tunguska

Here's a similar story involving vit C, ALA, copper: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2309504

(Maybe Vit. C is better off pulsed - on/off...)
    BadBadBear likes this.
  17. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    Tunguska, thanks for posting that. I am having some mystery foot pain in the arch of my left foot - on top of the foot in the bones - that seems arthritis like. I am inclined to quit taking ALA and see if it goes away.

Could be from increased ALA
    Increased methyl supps
    Resistant starch

All of those things have been tweaked in my diet lately, since the pain started.

My integrative MD assured me that increased ALA would not disturb my mineral status, but I am not 100% sure about that. I am taking low dose ALA 3x a day for my blood sugar.
  18. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    This symptom has been a real problem for me over the past six months. The pain came one day and never left. I link it to toxicity, working on my laptop. The rheumatologist told me it is oesteoarthritis, but odd it should have such a swift onset. A friend with RA suggested managing the pain by alternately putting my hands into icy water and water as hot as I can stand for fifteen minutes a day. I'll let you know how I get on.

See more popular forum discussions.