• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

artesunate??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
How have people gone with artesunate? have people generally improved, seen changes in viral load as well as immunological finding like lymphocytes and neutrophils??

Also i have read conflicting info about not using antioxidants while on artesunate as in counteracts its effects, in particular NAC. Can anyone comment on this?

cheers!!!

undcvr

You are using Artesunate for its autoimmune-affecting abilities so you do not have to be concerned about taking it with or without antioxidants or with or without food. It is just that when you take Artesunate the dosage is halved from taking Artemisinin as Artesunate is water soluble and Artemisinin is not. So it follows to take Artemisinin will oils.

xrunner

There's an in-depth scientific review of artemisia and its derivatives, artesunate and artemisinin, studies, dosages, side effects etc. in Buhner's book Healing Lyme. He doesn't think of it a strong antiviral , rather an anti-parasitic and anti-protozoal herb effective against babesia and malaria from what I recall, although recently he's not recommending it any longer preferring other...
According to Klinghardt instead one has to take Artemisinin in a certain way to activate it i.e. need grapefruit juice for absorption in the gut.

undcvr

After having about 20 years of experimenting and experience with my illness and the various supplements out there I can tell you that Artemisinin can send the illness into remission if used as monotherapy. I am aware of Buhner's protocols for Lyme and I can tell you that out of all the herbs that he recommends only Cryptolepsis comes close to the Herx and therapeutic effects of Artemisia, having said that Cryptolepsis is expensive and hard to find. It is also, surprise surprise an anti -malarial herb used in Africa. Of all of Buhner's herbs the only other really effective one is Andrographis and you can take that tgt with Artemisia. I also take lots of Licorice during flare ups. You do not need to take Artemisinin with grapefruit to activate it otherwise it would not have worked for all the people that take it for malaria.

Again I am not using it as an anti pathogen or anti viral but rather to control auto immune conditions. There is a big difference.

heapsreal

Im looking into more for its antiviral and antibacterial effects, i dont have any obvious auto-immune problems. I think i am more infectious/immune defiency problems. I have read a few articles stating its effects on herpes viruses and viruses in general. I have had cfs/me for 10 years now and was the type who never got sick only cfs, the last 2 years or so i have been getting alot of smaller infections, colds and sinus issues. So im going down this route.

Hi Jenny thanks for the link, i have read it but was maybe after some feedback from those people now that have been on it since those threads to see how they have gone long term.

cheers!!!

undcvr

I think it is related. I cannot prove it but I think they are related. Something in the immune system is malfunctioning enuf that an otherwise healthy immune system would be able to suppress herpesviruses and other pathogens most of the population can hold down.

Also but you do have problems with your adrenal glands if I remember you once told me. Very few illnesses can affect such a wide variety of the body besides an autoimmune condition.

heapsreal

I think it is related. I cannot prove it but I think they are related. Something in the immune system is malfunctioning enuf that an otherwise healthy immune system would be able to suppress herpesviruses and other pathogens most of the population can hold down.

Also but you do have problems with your adrenal glands if I remember you once told me. Very few illnesses can affect such a wide variety of the body besides an autoimmune condition.

Yes dhea does test low. If artesunate works on me through an auto immune effect, i will take it. I will do a trial of artesunate and see how i go on it. So many variables and no accurate testing. Like everything else its a try it and see.

cheers!!!