1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Artesunate for HHV-6, anyone?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Sasha, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Someone just mentioned this to me and I found there are some fairly old threads on it. Just wondering if anyone had good results and/or lack of side-effects using this for HHV-6? Doesn't seem to be much of a scientific literature on that specific topic. I'm wondering about this as a safer approach than Valcyte.
  2. vli

vli

CA
    hi Sasha i am kind of interested in this too as frankly... i seem to be running out of options in terms of AVs (if my current cidofovir IVs do nothing for me). one person who tried it said they developed hearing loss and so stopped but from what i gather doesn't this have to be imported from china??? I live in hong kong which is why this person said i could try getting it in the first place. How would you get it in the UK?

Edit: oh, i see online it says ?"In the UK, artesunate is available on a named patient basis only."
    Sasha likes this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Artesunate is derived from artemisinin which seems to be available from health food stores but presumably also carries risks and I haven't read enough to know anything about that yet.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    A little bump...
  5. MEMum

MEMum

Hi Sasha
    My daughter was prescribed artesunate at Breakspear for HHV-6 and HCMV, She also had an ongoing strep infection for which she was on injected penicillin. She did significantly improve for 3 months last year, after about 7 weeks on these. We then got diverted onto having a tonsillectomy as the ENT doc thought the tonsils could be the source of the strep infection.
    As an adult she is now under Dr Bansal. He doesn't reckon Artesunate does much...There are articles about it being an antiviral at least in vitro. It's easy to take and didn't have noticeable side effects. Unfortunately we haven't been able to replicate the improvement and she has since been diagnosed with antibodies to certain receptors in the basal ganglia.
    Hope this is useful
    Valentijn and Sasha like this.
  6. jstefl

jstefl Senior Member

Brookfield, Wisconsin
    I used Hepasunate 50 from www.hepalin.com for a while. It contains 50 mg of pharmaceutical grade Artesunate.

I did feel a definite benefit for a while, but once the methylation started kicking in, I no longer seemed to need it.

It is expensive, $ 50.00 for 60 tablets, so that was my main consideration for stopping. I was also a bit leery of the warnings, so I took only three capsules a week. That was enough to make a noticeable difference in the way I felt, so I didn't push any harder.

I had previously taken Valcyte, so I didn't need it for HHV-6.

John
    Sasha likes this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Thanks, MEMum - it's interesting to hear Dr Bansal's view. I hope your daughter is doing better these days.
  8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Thanks - that's interesting that you felt a benefit but it sounds as though you had maybe already cleared up your HHV-6. Nothing is simple!

See more popular forum discussions.