Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Arterial flow waveforms, vascular tone and chronic fatigue (sic): A case report

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Kati, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

The topic is not new to us. I am unable to open the link to the publisher therefore unable to determine if there is open access.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25817901

Arterial flow waveforms, vascular tone, and chronic fatigue: A case report.
    Zundel MT1, Pattyn M2, Chelimsky TC3, Riess ML4.
    Author information

Abstract
    We present the case of a patient with chronic fatigue secondary to Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) who had distinctive abnormalities in his arterial waveform morphology as assessed by pulse oximetry. Moreover, the patient's arterial waveform changed markedly from being supine to upright, suggesting that arterial flow patterns may be abnormal in our patient. Analysis of the waveform suggested a positional hypovolemia as the cause of his orthostatic intolerance. We review general aspects of arterial flow waveform analysis pertinent to health care providers and discuss the pathophysiology of POTS.

2. voner

voner Senior Member

for fun, here are some of my waveforms... Pulse is on the right side. heart rate variability graph is on the left side at the top. A high functioning autonomic system should have a very smooth sinusoidal heart rate variability wave form , according to the device makers.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

the last one is a rare good day, waveform wise....

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    Never Give Up and Kati like this.
  3. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

What is this from?

Never Give Up likes this.
  4. voner

voner Senior Member

it's from a heart rate variability analysis gadget. There's a few of them out there on the market. it's kind of a biofeedback technique, where you hook the gadget up to you an then your computer/iPad/iPhone and through watching the waveforms and varying your breathing you are supposed to be able to get your heart rate variability to increase (which is good), and all in life will be well.

I tried it for a few months and then sold the device. Took some screenshots like this into my electrophysiologist and he looked at them and said, "Yep, your autonomic system sure is messed up".

I did like looking at all the graphs and I did notice that my autonomic system/heart rate variability/pulse waveform was just all over the map from day to day, and I noticed my way forms were far better if I laid flat on the ground rather than sitting or standing. I saved these waveforms because when I go to a new doctor I can show them these waveforms and it's definitive information for them, which helps their understanding.

here is more info,

http://www.heartmath.com/inner-balance-faqs/

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    So did you use the Heartmath product?

6. voner

voner Senior Member

yes I did for about three or four months. my heart rate variability and pulse waveform varied a lot day to day. I was not able to successfully improve my heart rate variability. sure would be interesting to hear other people, who used such a device, stories .

See more popular forum discussions.