1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
First Direct Evidence of Neuroinflammation - 'Encephalitis' - in ME/CFS
A small study with just nine patients has captured the attention of patients and researchers alike after reporting direct evidence of inflammation in the brain of ME/CFS patients. The finding was one of the highlights picked out by Professor Anthony Komaroff in his IACFS/ME...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Art as therapy :)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by SilverbladeTE, Jan 7, 2011.

1. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    About 12 or more years ago, I got online because of a computer game named "Baldurs Gate", on the forums for it, as most of us were new to the web back then, one fellow found a site claled "DigitalBlasphemy" that was about digital art, and posted pics form it...I was instantly hooked on digital art! :D

ever sine then I've beavered away at it when able. went to college to study it but that set me Me/CFS of worse, sigh.

This is my site with my art, stories n' stuff:
    http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/

I write a lot of tutorials on "How to do" digital art, so I wrote up an article on "art as therapy":
    http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/tutorials/htm/21.html

I didn't see a "no posting of images" in the FAQ so hope it's ok to repost the article in entirity, along with pics :)

Pebble River, an image I made with Mojoworld, a digital art program

[​IMG]

Kobold Canyons, an image I made with Mojoworld
    [​IMG]

MAN-O-WAR 2007, an image I made with Vue and Rhino programs

[​IMG]

One of my miniatures, it's about an inch high

[​IMG]

Buzzsaw, a fractal image I made with Apophysis fractal maker program
    [​IMG]

I hope you find this of use! :)
  2. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Thanks for this. Very interesting. I'll come back later and read it more carefully.
  3. paclabman

paclabman

Seattle area
    Digital art is one of the good things that has come from my current condition. I'll have to post more later when I have time.

A couple of questions - are the pictures embedded in your post? How did you do it? What is format .jpg? and file size you used - don't want to bog down forum with larger files.
  4. SilverbladeTE

Merry
    no worries! :)

paclabman
    "every cloud has a silver lining" ;)

Oh they are on my own website, so I linked ot them, using the INSERT IMAGE button on forum here :)
    can't bog the forum down as the file is from my site, thus it is MY bandwidth being used, and browsers cache images, so shouldn't be a problem.
    I did check though to see if forums allowed pic posting but didn't see a ban on it, and it is apropos of the thread.

When I make tutorials etc, I make smaller versions of my images for ease of reading, liek making a newspaper column.
    you never make text go to far ACROSS a screen or paper, or it is too tiring etc, so you break it into columns
    so I designed my tutorial section to be about 800 pixels on the article side, leaving some room for the menu column on left, assuming most folk use screen sizes of at least 1024x768, and many now use even larger due to availability of larger LCD monitors

aye. jpg, though some of my tutorial images I use .png depending on how good quality/permanance must be.
    jpg = lossy format

that help? :)
  5. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I think I'm a little dizzy. :D:confused::D

I would love to know how to do that kind of stuff, but ... don't know if it'll happen this lifetime. [​IMG]

Wayne
  6. SilverbladeTE

Wayne
    hey, I learned this stuff, and so have mayeb a million other folk, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to do so :)

I'd suggest getting one of the "fun to use applications" like bryce or Vue, as their interfaces were designed to be PLEASANT to use, unlike many of the big "Professional" apps which have horrible hard to use interfaces, sigh.
    You cna get PLE versions of Vue (sort of like demos, but never run out of time etc, just add a watermark) and Bryce 5 is free and legit from download.com

More tech minded folk who don't mind complex UIs, lol, could try Blender again free

And "DAZ Studio", for making 3D people creatures etc, is also free.

this is a basic video into tutorial on using Vue, showing how easy it is to use :)
    http://www.e-onsoftware.com/support/tutorials/?page=1&cf=/support/tutorials/
  7. paclabman

paclabman

Seattle area
    This is great therapy. A chance to learn something new and be creative. We all start out basic and build from there.

Plus ... the part of my brain that works with images is in better shape that the part that used to do hard core engineering calcs.

I'm not working so this is great. My workflow is horrible and i can't remeber where I put things. But ... there are no schedule deadlines and no consequences for mistakes. Just save often and "undo" works great.

I especially like the first landscape above. I'm not an advanced user like Silver, but still I can have fun and feel creative.

I started with the free DAZ3D. Also ... Gimp is a free program with similar functions to photoshop. Just download it. Just start on it - I have no artistic background at all. Which maybe that shows :eek:

Here are a few I've worked on recently - two landscapes, a portrait, and an image I made for a Tarot card challenge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Guess i should say these were all done in Carrara 8 and any post work was done with Gimp.
  8. SilverbladeTE

Paclabman
    yeah it's odd that, I'm the same: artistic stuff, story telling isn't nearly as bad affected as my mathematical skills and especially multitasking, both of which cause "knife through temple" headaches when pushed, ugh!!!

Cheers mate! :)
    Oh i'm not so good at landscapes, slowly working my way through variosu parts of the field: materials, imports, rendering etc now getting to grips with landscapes etc

Good stuff! :)
    neat trick to add realism to rivers, lake shores etc, is to in your 2D package, paint on a new layer, a line of bleaching or whatever, aorund the shore line to show how the water interacts with the land as you'd expect ;)

well since we are currently havign a "Heatwave" I'm getting back to art :)
    haha heatwave, it's +10C but that IS a heatwave compared ot the -15C and damp as hell horror weather we've had, ick!

had to sort out the art PC, it SEEMS to be working now *crosses fingers*
  9. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    paclabman, thanks for the examples of your digital art. So much texture in the landscapes. I would like to know how this is done but probably won't get to it in this lifetime. (I still haven't watched the tutorials on virology that weeks ago I meant to watch!)

Also, I liked your photos on the photography thread. So much wildlife where you live.

Silverblade, I like the grand expanses of your digital art.
  10. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    This is great.
    To find a creative outlet and have passion for it!

I can relate that art, or any creative outlet can be very therapeutic.

When I have periods that I feel better, I paint pictures and while I'm actively doing it, I feel like I'm in a trance.
    I have no sense of time or my surroundings. I get so absorbed in it that I don't even feel my pain!!

For anyone out there who can find any type of creative outlet (it doesn't have to be art - writing, playing instrument, singing,
    reading) I strongly recommend using it as often as possible.
  11. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Yes, Nielk, I've been thinking about this very thing a lot as I've reflected on Cort's article on be-ing - that place before thought. He and others use meditation techniques to calm the brain. For me absorption in a creative pursuit can be calming - a relief from pointless mind chatter.
  12. SilverbladeTE

Yeah, we all need to DO something with life, to make to express etc etc :)

and "distraction" is one of the best therapies for pain and illness there is, so reading gaming art whatever ato avoid the pain etc, without use of drugs (and their issues) is good.

Well I fixed my art PC...once upon a time I fixed the damn things for a sort of living, now? GAH freakin torture!!!! :p
    And started back on some art!

latest pic, small version

fantasy setting hence unusual sky etc

[​IMG]

Full version is here:
    http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/darksun/dark_sun_mul_character.jpg
  13. casplee

casplee

Lincolnshire UK
    Some nice digital art you have done i especially like the portrait, I on the other hand am a aviation artist oils on canvas of which can be very relaxing but on the other hand can be frustrating:( Here is a pic of a painting i have had made in to prints raising money for awareness od myeloma (cancer) of which my mum recently passed with:( and one of a horse in pastels. I stopped painting about a year ago but really must think about getting back to it:)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/casplee/art/evolutionweb.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/casplee/art/toby_LG.jpg
  14. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the links, casplee.

I especially like the aviation picture - the perspective - up out of the clouds.

Time for you to get back to painting!

I'm sorry to hear of your mother's recent death from cancer.
  15. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
  16. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Interesting. I don't remember seeing detailed spaceship art like this. Thanks, l'engle.
  17. SilverbladeTE

Oh there's some amazing digital art out there to be found! :)

try these, all done on the computer (though the Wood Dragon uses real photos as it's base)

http://www.vyro-games.com/phil/site/theWoodDragon_andTheLadyBug.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_q9gTdYDKI3U/TAaCI8NCpLI/AAAAAAAAClE/mpKYGaXZloM/s1600/dracsatwip.jpg

many amazing artists now use digital.

My latest pic, though it's space, it's FANTASY space ;)

Full sized pic, which makes big difference
    http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/sj/manowar/manowar_2011.jpg

Smaller preview
    [​IMG]

this pic shows some of how I built the ship in 3D
    http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/rhino/2007/manowar_2007_23.jpg

Casplee
    Schweeeet! :)
    adore paintings of WW2 Typhoons (my fave aircraft of the era)

I cna't paint worth a hoot :/ so use digital to get aorund my shortcomings, lol
    my mum's FANTASTIC at seascapes and landscapes, the colours are so damn vivid and powerful, but photos wouldn't do them justice, would need to get a pro photographer to do 'em

another good thing about digital is, you can easily go back and alter a work
    so I'm still working on the "Dark Sun Mul" character from above

latest version
    http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/darksun/dark_sun_mul_character_v2.jpg

good magazines about digital art

IMAGINEFX (mostly 2D, scifi and fantasy)
    3DWORLD (mostly technical "how tos")
    3DARTIST (more general help tips etc)

good sites:
    RENDEROSITY
    CGSOCIETY for pros only really, but has amazing galleries etc
    DAZ3D

:)
  18. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY

casplee,

Amazing art work!!
    I just happen to look through this thread and clicked on your pictures.
    You are very talented!:victory:

See more popular forum discussions.