1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Armour Thyroid and the 'missed'diagnosis of Hypothyroidism.

Discussion in 'Thyroid Dysfunction' started by justy, Aug 29, 2013.

1. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    roxie60. 'Cell level aching' sounds like a good description to me inuitively.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    justy

Just a comment about "pushing through"symptoms--I wouldn't risk it without a full set of thyroid tests. When I said I got into "trouble" from being hyperthyroid, it meant very serious atrial fibrillation and 2 visits to the Emergency Room. My subsequent tests showed that I was extremely hyperthyroid and that was just on 30 mg of Armour.

Best,
    Sushi
    L'engle likes this.
  3. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    I also was advised to push through adverse reactions to armour thyroid. I had become wired at first and then had a horrible crash before asking for advice from the prescribing gp. I never did try to push through because the symptoms were so awful. This was on only a very small amount of armour but I dissolved it sublingually instead of swallowing it.
  4. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    do you think maybe using sublingually you got more of the dose than if it had traveled to the GI tract to be absorbed??
  5. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    I think so, yes. I never swallowed one though so I don't know. I figure anything that can be absorbed that way will by pass some degradation and be used more efficiently.
  6. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    I guess my question is Armour suppose to be taken sublingually or swallowed? I may have hypothyroid and I am thinking I would prefer the more natural option of Armour than synthroid. Just wanting to know how one takes this medicine.
  7. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Normally it is taken swallowed. The recommended dose takes into account inefficiencies in absorption by that method.
    roxie60 likes this.
  8. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    @ roxie60. The normal recommendation is to swallow it. I dissolved it myself because after learning how things are used more efficiently it seemed like a waste to swallow it and use up more. However I was given a blanket prescription with the understanding that I would monitor the does mysel. I took an amount so small it would be hard to even say how much. If a gp tells you to take a specific amount though, best to take that amount and swallow it. I wouldn't advise people to do what I did, I'm just reporting my experience.

Also, as the prescribing doctor is several hours away, I had a keen interest in making my supply last.
  9. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    That may not be the case, some medicine are manufactured in a manner to release the appropriate dose based on expected / recommended method of taking the medicine. If you took medicine sublingually that was intended to be taken orally I would be concerned that you would not receive the correct dosage and possibly cause unintended consequences. I have had gut issues at times so I understand the desire to get the medicine 'in' but I hope you did not hurt yourself by taking it sublingually unless you had a variety that was intended to be taken sublingually. Wanting the best results for you.
    L'engle likes this.
  10. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    I understand what you are saying
    L'engle likes this.
  11. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    roxie60. Thanks. It was three years ago so have trouble actually remembering what happened. I think it disintegrated quickly in my mouth because the amount I tried was so small and it didn't seem worth swallowing. I never did finish the bottle and got rid of it a year later.
  12. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    justy, Have you had your free T3 tested? Even if you have enough free T4, your body may be converting it to reverse T3 instead of T3. T3 is what your cells need. Reverse T3 is basically a waste product.
    justy likes this.
  13. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    Did you look at my comment on systemic enzymes allowing pple to actually go off their thyroid med ? Immune system goes haywire and attacks the thyroid, you need to get your immune system to stop doing that.
  14. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    Yeah and immune system goes haywire because of...? In my case I have no doubt the answer is genetic polymorphisms plus exposure to heavy metals (aluminum especially at the onset of my illness) and other types of stress, such as emotional.
  15. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    The immune system can go crazy bcos of many things but mostly it all comes down to long term stress and abuse - physical, emotional, psychological. We are all suffeing from post traumatic stress disorder lol.

See more popular forum discussions.