1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Part 2: Brain Cells Making us Sick? Messed up microglia could be driving symptoms
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, might be overactive and driving the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Are you taking amino acids?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by SaraM, Apr 22, 2012.

1. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

Based on the results of a recent blood amino acids panel test, I am deficient in threonine (immune booster and anti depressant) , and phosphoserine. Other amino acids are in range, but not optimal. Normal range for many amino acids is 0- 10,20, or 40. In those cases my level is ZERO. I am planning to add threonine and some whey protein isolate to my daily amino acids complex.
  2. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Russell Island, Australia
    Some people have trouble tolerating whey protein because of the high levels of glutamate, glutamine and cysteine in it. Be sure to be observant on whether the whey protein is making any neurological problems you have worse (I'm presuming you have some?). Vegetarian based proteins tend to be lower in these amino acids.
  3. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

Thanks for your advice. Yes, a lot of muscle pain.
  4. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

5. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

I don't believe any of those are essential amino acids. They're likely deficient because of other deficiencies -- such as b vitamins and minerals that are necessary cofactors for their synthesis.

I'm fairly certain serine is needed for glutathioine synthesis. I'm sure Rich would be able to confirm that one. I don't know a whole lot about the other two.

hixxy
  6. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    A friend with ME takes quite a bit of whey protein for muscle recovery, but a side effect is puffy red toes. So whey can do some complicated things.
  7. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

Hi Hixxy,

You are right b vitamins and minerals are necessary, but I have been taking lots of them since I was diagnosed and never saw much improvement. Right now my gut and liver is in terrible shape, so I am going to try these amino acids anyway.

Best
  8. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    n acetyl cysteine for liver, probably typing what everyone knows.

cheers!!!
    L'engle likes this.
  9. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    I didn't know that, Heaps! Thanks!
  10. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

My cystine level is good. Do I need to take more NAC? Liver enzyems are Ok, but the liver itself is enlarged.
  11. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    NAC is used in hospital to protect the liver from paracetamol/tylenol overdoses, its used IV but have read that taken orally has the same effects. I have been using this since i have been on antivirals to help protect my liver.

Sara is there a reason why your liver is enlarged??

cheers!!!
    L'engle likes this.
  12. penny

penny Senior Member

Southern California
    I tested low on glycine, glutamine, lysine and serine. I supplement all of these except glycine (I tried but it just didn't seem to do much for me). I *think* the lysine helps with suppressing viruses (and so general symptom exacerbation) and that the serine and glutamine help with cognitive functioning. This is just my sense, so they may do something else too or do something completely different.

Oh, and in case you decide to try serine in supplement form - I get the jarrow brand and I prefer the softgel over the capsule versions.
  13. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

Heaps, I do not know. It was detected by accident after a abdominal scan. I am now waiting for the MRI results.

Penny, glutamine helps me with cognitive functioning, too. Jo mar lab has a better price for serine. I ordered some today.
  14. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Cystine is not the same as cysteine.
  15. penny

penny Senior Member

Southern California
    Cool! Have you used that brand before? I'm hesitant to change what's working :). I'd like to try reducing the serine, it is pricey at 600mg a day! But that'll have to wait till life/other supplements are more stable so I can better tell if it makes a diff.
  16. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

No, I have not.
  17. penny

penny Senior Member

Southern California
    Well hopefully it'll help! Maybe I'll give it a try when I get that elusive still period in symptoms/function.
    Take care :)
  18. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

I meant cysteine.
  19. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I tested somewhat low in my urine citrulline (4 micromols) but the range given by the lab is 0-28. My precursors for it (arginine and ornithine) were pretty normal.

Any idea what level is defined as low citrulline in urine?
  20. SaraM

SaraM Senior Member

I have no idea. Mine was a blood test. My arigning and ornithine are normal,too. Citrulline under 20 is sometimes considered a biomarker for crohn's disease. Mine is 21. Threonine is 53, normal 73-261. Theronine is used to generate intestinal mucus. A low level causes leaky gut and fatty liver(enlarged liver).

See more popular forum discussions.