• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are You Disabled in Your Dreams?

Old Bones

I was usually active in my dreams, running or going somewhere or dreaming something unusual.

@rosie26 "Or dreaming something unusual" -- oh yes!!! I can keep my husband entertained for quite awhile some mornings with my description of the previous night's dream. They are definitely bizarre, and remembered in great detail. I often wonder how long the actual dreams are because it seems they last for as much as half an hour, based on how long it takes to tell them.

rosie26

@rosie26 "Or dreaming something unusual" -- oh yes!!! I can keep my husband entertained for quite awhile some mornings with my description of the previous night's dream. They are definitely bizarre, and remembered in great detail. I often wonder how long the actual dreams are because it seems they last for as much as half an hour, based on how long it takes to tell them.
I know some of them are very funny. I remember one dream I was down at the waterfront in my city and I saw a huge passenger airplane which looked to be in trouble and about to crash land into the harbour. I felt safe where I was standing but as I continued to watch the plane, it suddenly turned and started toward me and all of sudden I was in incredible danger. I didn't know which way to run to get out of the way. LOL. My fright woke me up, so I don't know how the ending was.

JaimeS

Usually I'm working through a problem, but getting there. I seem to spend a lot of my sleep counting kittens and making sure they're not getting lost - cute but stressful!

Ha! I know that kind of dream! And yes, it's stressful but usually imbued with a certain sense of accomplishment. Then you wake up and think, "wait... no, I'm not responsible for X..."

I guess it's a taking on more than you can handle, or taking on what you can barely handle kind of dream... depending on how many kittens get counted...

Generally, in my dreams I start off healthy, then 'realize' I am sick and that I should not be doing whatever it is that I am doing. There is often that element of explanation, where I have to say "I know I was running beside you a moment ago, but I really can't. I'm not sure why I haven't crashed, yet... wait." That's usually when I realize I'm dreaming!

-J

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
In my dreams, I am physically disabled, like cannot walk, or am collapsed on the floor, and also confused brain fogged. Not only in my deep sleep, but also when semi lucid, I can actually physically feel the fatigue in my body. This is more than three and a half years into this illness.

I'm usually not aware of having health problems in my dreams, but it's not often that I'm actively doing something. Occasionally I can fly which is so much fun.

But I have a lot of dreams where there's a disaster, death, or serious injury about to happen, or sometimes it already happened.

taniaaust1

Im either healthy in my dreams or ill in them, Ive found myself in a wheelchair in some of my dreams.

The more exhausted I are in real life, the more tired I can find myself in my dreams as if the exhaustion carries over and even though Im asleep, like I know still how exhausted I am. I also suffer from being confused a lot in my dreams too.

I used to have a lot of toilet dreams of being constipated. I think the symbolism of that one is all the shit (problems) in my life which just dont seem to go away not matter how much I want them to do so.

I also used to regularly have teeth decaying or falling out dreams. I've read the symbolism of that one is it can represent ill health.

L'engle

moogle
Generally, in my dreams I start off healthy, then 'realize' I am sick and that I should not be doing whatever it is that I am doing.

I have a recurring dream where I've signed up for a full course load at school and midway through term am realizing that I can't complete the work or even attend classes. I'm trying to figure out what I need to do, how to drop classes, how to get credit for some of them. Often having to explain to people that I am sick and shouldn't have signed up to begin with as well.

My other dreams are usually less stressful and I'm often able to wander around in interesting places or go to events. It's a nice break from reality.

Arius

Wow, thanks for all the replies, everybody!
Your experiences are insightful and interesting.
I am so curious about dreams and consciousness and how brains work.

It seems like most of us are sometimes well and sometimes ill in our dreams, and that perhaps there is a sort of a delay period between when we get ill and when our dreams start to reflect that reality. I wonder if there is a connection between denial or acceptance of illness, and illness in dreams. I think that I still haven't quite ACCEPTED that I am a chronically ill person, which is maybe why i am well in my dreams...?

I also wonder where our dreaming brain comes up with it's idea of who we are. Perhaps a person's subconscious conception of their self is a synthesis of their whole self across their lifespan (with an emphasis on formative years)? Maybe that's too heavy of a question for a bunch of foggy-brained folk.

I really appreciate being able to run and do things in my dreams as well. It's a nice vacation.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Recently I am dreaming more and more that I am in my wheelchair. Usually its a mix of dreams, because some are so weird and unusual and I am me but not me. In those dreams I can walk, although I no longer do anything exciting in dreams.

Mainly I am in a my wheelchair in dreams, and that's just not fair.

I had a dream in which I was in a wheelchair, but could still get out and walk (like real life) BEFORE I had my severe relapse and then ME dx. In the dream I was explaining to someone that I had ME and that's why I used a wheelchair. Its always freaked me out that 3 years later this is exactly what happened.

L'engle

moogle
Strangely I have some dreams where I can 'fly', but the flying feels effort intensive, sort of like the way normal actions feel with ME.

So like the dream version of myself can do what a normal person might be able to do but in order to do stuff a healthy person might be able to do in a dream, that's like 2 levels up from me and has to feel 'difficult'.

Kind of hard to explain but I find it funny.

Last edited:

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
I don't remember my dreams. For a long while I wondered if I dreamed at all.

A few months ago I did remember a snippet of a dream. I heard my name called. There was no fear or anger or urgency in the voice, so rather benign.

That's about as exciting as it gets in my head. Maybe that is when my brain fog is manifesting?

sorin

I've been sick for over 1.5 years now, but I've realized that I am always able-bodied in my dreams. Does anybody else have this?
In my dreams I can run, bike, and do all the things I could do before.
Hi Arius! I am now sick for over 4 years and I feel exactly the same during dreams: I can play tennis, I can run, I can ski, etc, etc - I feel so good in dreams and when I wake up I feel semi-paralyzed and I tell to myself: '"What a pity that I have to wake up!". But we can not live only in dreams, unfortunately :)

Mary

Moderator Resource
I don't dream much these days but when I did I was usually active in my dreams, running or going somewhere or dreaming something unusual.

Rosie - fwiw, since I started taking B1, I am sleeping deeper than I have in years, and dreaming more! It's actually quite nice. I also found I had to up my phosphorus intake since starting the B1 about 2 months ago, and switched from B complex to brewers yeast as the B1 was upsetting some sort of balance, which seems to be sorted out now (I hope! :confused:)

rosie26

Rosie - fwiw, since I started taking B1, I am sleeping deeper than I have in years, and dreaming more! It's actually quite nice. I also found I had to up my phosphorus intake since starting the B1 about 2 months ago, and switched from B complex to brewers yeast as the B1 was upsetting some sort of balance, which seems to be sorted out now (I hope! :confused:)
Thanks for the ideas Mary. I was meant to try brewers yeast years ago. Does brewers yeast cover all the B's? I am now taking a multivitamin and B complex. I will experiment a bit more in a month or two.

rosie26

@Mary and @Mij they both look very good. I wish I had tried it years ago as I had a gut feeling back then that it was something I needed to take. I remember my mother having it, but she mixed it with something and had it as a drink. I know it is very good for you. I will definitely be trying it. I will bookmark both of your posts so that I don't forget.