• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are we not giving MTRR/MTR mutations enough attention???

There has been some speculation on the forums that MTRR/MTR mutations are more important than some of are giving them credit for.

Perhaps they are a major contributor to B12 deficiencies and a large need for the active B12 supplementation.

I have observed that some on the forum can not tolerate methylfolate without taking high doses of methyl B12, possibly because of a methyl trap due to MTRR/MTR mutations?

Any thought, opinions or experiences?

PeterPositive

The problem with these mutations, as far as I understand it, is that they may play different roles for people with no particular stressors (e.g. good health, no specific external or internal stressors) vs chronically ill subjects.

They may become relevant when those stressors gets activated, due to prolonged emotional stress, bad diet or lifestyle, infections, toxicity etc...

I have the so called "double-whammy" MTR/MTRR combination and have had some luck with active B12 and folate, but as for many people here, there are highs and lows.

These days I am not focusing very much on genes, although I still think the 23andme was somewhat helpful for a couple of problems.

Last edited:

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I'm MTR/MTRR +/+ and I am convinced these mutation played a major part in creating lifelong nutrient deficiencies & resultant depression. Not knowing why I was depressed, I took up all kinds of 'stimulating' activities -- such as recreational drug use and excessive exercise - that created major oxidative stress and damage to me... leading to CFS.

B12 & folate supplemention goes a long way towards improving my mental state.