1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

are UTIs more common...

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by Sherlock, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    in CFS? (Urinary Tract Infections)
  2. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    Cystitis is often noted as a comorbid companion, but I'm not sure about actual infection
    Sherlock likes this.
  3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I have a recurrent urinary tract infection / kidney infection, and when it flares up, my fatigue and brain fog levels increase very significantly for several days, until I can get the infection under control with antibiotics, etc.

I acquired a recurrent urinary tract infection several years prior to developing ME/CFS (the latter arising from a respiratory virus I caught).

I often wonder whether chronic recurrent UTIs are common comorbid conditions in ME/CFS patients, and whether chronic recurrent UTIs play a causal role in ME/CFS. Certainly I know my UTI significantly exacerbates my ME/CFS symptoms.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) are known comorbid conditions in ME/CFS. Interstitial cystitis (bladder pain syndrome) and overactive bladder are known comorbid conditions in fibromyalgia.

I have not seen any studies linking recurrent UTIs to ME/CFS, but I imagine that there might be a connection.

kisekishiawase likes this.
  4. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    totally agree with @Hip post and the flare up

i found this interesting. i got UTI often which annoys me and the really bad one in the past for a long time/chronic and nearly got kidney. i notice that it is somewhat correlated with my condition but im not sure.
    i read that candida, lacto overgrowth and some other similiar type of issues could contribute to it.
  5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    One of my very first symotoms was waking up with bladder spasms every morning. Ow!

people with leaky gut can have problems processing oxalates in their diet. As long as i avoid high oxalate foods my uti symptoms are under control. I'm not up on the other ways that oxalates can be a problem.

The yahoo trying low oxalate board was the most up to date when I was reaearching this.

I had candida on my last cdsa so I need to treat it. It would be nice is treating this solved my oxalate problem. I get kidney stones too tho.

tc ... x
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  6. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I have seen UTIs on 1 or 2 "CFS" symptom lists. I don't remember sources. I have seen infections also (not specifying what kind of infection).

See more popular forum discussions.