• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are Titanium implants for dental work a good idea?

PennyIA

I've had almost all my teeth pulled out about a week ago (used to have partial upper dentures). I have a set of full upper dentures now - but am having some pretty serious gag reflex issues and am not getting to a point where I can even try to get 'adjusted' to them. I have tried several forms of numbing agents. The best I can seem to get is about twenty minutes in before I start to gag, and the more I try, the worse it gets from there... until I can't even put them into place. They cut down the length of them (a little); but I'm seriously tempted to get a dremel tool so I can cut the last 1/8" which is where it presses on the soft palette - the dentist won't cut that much out because that lip edge right there helps hold the dentures into place. As far as I'm concerned - it's not doing any good if I can't stand the pressure on the soft palette - so the teeth aren't in my mouth long enough to even try to get to the point where I have to worry about snugness... and if needed - there are fixing creams I can try.

I had to do this because my teeth had gotten so bad (another thing I can blame on genetics). But, a nice side effect was that it meant the removal of the ten teeth with amalgam fillings that were over 30 years old... without having to get the amalgam drilled out.

The dentist feels that if I can't get adjusted, the next step is to replace the standard upper dentures with 'snap in' dentures that require tiny implants of titanium posts - that the new dentures can fit onto. I'm worried with my methylation issues about introducing any metal into my mouth if I can avoid it. What do you guys think - would it be dangerous?

Oh, and any other suggestions for reducing gagging? I've tried to smile just as I feel it coming on, that delays the gag reflex for about five seconds, but doesn't seem to prevent it. I've tried focusing on the dentures and I've tried focusing on something else really thought intensive. So far, nothing is working.