• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are there GMOs in your vitamins?

:eek: :confused:
:aghhh: :alien:

These were the best (worst) parts of the article to me, if anyone needs a shorter version:

While proponents say production of GM microorganisms is safe, there has been one major catastrophe. In 1989, an L-tryptophan food supplement, produced using a genetically engineered microorganism, was responsible for the deaths of 37 people and disabling of several thousand more in the United States.

Vitamins E (tocopherols) and C are the most common vitamins raising GMO concerns, since E is derived from soy and C from corn.

GM microorganisms are used to make vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin C (ascorbic acid), xanthan (a thickener), citric acid, and enzymes used in cheeses, breads and baked goods, alcoholic beverages, and juice.

Wyard calls the inconsistent interpretation of organic rules on vitamins a "big can of worms" that organic certifiers need to solve amongst themselves rather than taking it to the NOSB.

Plum

Oh yeah. This GMO stuff is everywhere!

I recently realised that my supplements were an issue and managed to find GMO free vitamin C. The probiotics I buy are from organic dairy. Vitamin E is hard as it's in so much. Sorry to add to the annoyance - but chocolate often contains soya lecithins. So if not organic - same GMO concern as vit E.

Researching each supplement is hard. I recently found my liver detox herbs which are awesome have some vit C in - have had to find a different product to take.

Here in the UK GMO's only recently came onto the radar as animal feed is now allowed to be from GMO crops. So in a matter of months, food and supplements have had to be re-evaluated for me!