The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Are Pressure Cookers a low histamine cooking method?

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance' started by ebethc, Nov 29, 2016.

1. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

I know that slow cooking and using crockpots produce high histamine; does anyone know if pressure cooking is a safe method for preparing low histamine meals?

2. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

I didn't think cooking methods made any difference to histamine levels, I thought that food items have an intrinsic histamine level which increases as the food ages. I'm interested if histamine levels do change with cooking methods, can you please point me to something on this? Thanks.

3. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

@GreyOwl check out the low histamine chef's site.. she has guideline w references... same w sarah ballantyne's site

4. ryan31337

ryan31337 Senior Member

South East, England
    Can't speak authoritatively but definitely aware of consensus among histamine sensitive MCAS patients that slow cooking is a problem, whereas pressure cooking is better.

Gingergrrl and ebethc like this.
  5. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    If pressure cookers are better for MCAS patients, there is a nifty electric one that combines about 7 cooking functions that quite a few of us find is also labor saving. It is on and off sale (has been half price) during the holiday season: Instant Pot.

ebethc and ryan31337 like this.
  6. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

that's the one I have my eye on :)

7. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Amazon had it half price a couple of days ago and are likely to have it on sale again. I got mine during their Black Friday in July sale. It is amazingly brain-fog proof and if it also helps with histamine--what a boon. :thumbsup:

PatJ and ebethc like this.
  8. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    My Instant Pot is so valuable that I bought a second one for a backup during the Black Friday sale at Amazon.ca. It's the only thing I use for sautéing, slow cooking, pressure cooking, and yogurt making (including scalding the milk). Without it I would have to spend more time upright, which isn't good due to OI. I would also have to be upright when the food is done, but with it I can let the food sit on keep warm mode until I can be up. No worries about food boiling over or associated cleanup.

It's the most valuable kitchen appliance I have ever bought.

ahmo, ebethc and Sushi like this.
  9. erin

erin Senior Member

I love my pressure cooker. Vegetables are so nicely cooked, soft but not mushy. Soups are so quickly ready. Especially cook-a-leeky soup is so easily done. All the stews, meat or grains cook much quicker. Energy saved (including gas electricity and my energy too!) and delicious.
    Some people even make cakes using pressure cookers, I haven't try that yet!

ebethc, Sushi and PatJ like this.
  10. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Instant Pot is the best device I've ever bought. My MCAS has gotten a lot better since I've started to use it but I don't think it's the pressure cooking per se that caused that but rather the kind of food you put into it.

Sushi and ebethc like this.
  11. PatJ

PatJ far and free I gaze

Canada
    Can you explain what you mean?

12. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

What I meant is that I completely overhauled my diet at the same time as I started using the pressure cooker so the decline in histamine problems cannot be attributed to pressure cooking per se.

GreyOwl and PatJ like this.

See more popular forum discussions.