A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Are meta-analyses done by promoters of psychological treatments as tainted as those done by Pharma?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

James C. Coyne is an influential psychologist who isn't afraid to criticise other psychological researchers if they don't maintain high standards.

This probably isn't his best piece, in my opinion. Most of it is on triple P parenting program but one has to read quite a bit to get to his main point(s).

Anyway, here's a piece near the start that I thought was interesting enough:

There is a Cochrane review of GET being undertaken at the moment by GET researchers. I think it is useful to know the sorts of criticisms that can be made of meta-analyses.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    WillowJ, Simon, Cheshire and 4 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

As I mentioned, it takes quite a lot of reading to find out Dr. Coyne's concerns about the Triple P Parenting evidence based. Eventually he says:

Just before it he quoted his own abstract:
    Given the small numbers often used in CFS trials, I find this interesting. Quite a few might get excluded with this criteria.

WillowJ, Valentijn and Esther12 like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I don't think its as tainted. I think in many cases its worse, though this depends in part on the disease in question. I hope to say more after I read the article.

Valentijn likes this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Most CFS studies would be considered pilot studies. Typically we cannot get enough funding to do larger studies. Yet this may also be why, in part, there have been inconsistent findings in some of the immunology, quite aside from problems with reliability of cytokine testing, cohort issues etc.

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Esther12 likes this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

My own response to the length of Coyne's blogs sometimes reveals a degree of hypocrisy in my own complaints about the lack of depth and detail in most science blogging.

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.