• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are Herpes Related Virus Tests Relevant if One if Not Sexually Active?

Hi,

I had the chance to talk to a famous CFS doc who mentioned that among many other potential blood tests that one could do, that several herpes related virus tests were important. I've listed these below. What I neglected to ask the doctor is whether these tests are relevant if an individual is not sexually active. I figured that it was rather easy to look this up, but didn't see any quick answers.

Since CFS/ME patients can sometimes do a lot of testing to identify underlying issues, I thought I'd post this question. Thanks in advance if anyone knows the answers.

Potential blood tests:
HerpesVirus 6 (IgG, IgM)
Herpes Simplex Virus 1 (IgG, IgM)
Herpes Simplex Virus 1 (IgG, IgM)

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Scotty81

SOC

Most people have their initial HHV6 and CMV infections before age 5. I doubt many of them are sexually active. :rolleyes:

Herpesviruses are not generally sexually transmitted diseases. Some can be transmitted sexually, but can also be transmitted other ways, so even having HHV-1 or HHV-2, which are more commonly transmitted sexually, is no indication of sexual activity. Cold sores are caused by HHV-1 and HHV-2. Having cold sores doesn't mean you're sexually active.

You might want to do some background research on herpesviridae. An easy place to start is the Wikipedia article on herpesviridae.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Generally doctors will say you only have an active infection such as ebv or cmv if you show antibodies to igm, if igg they will say it's a past infection, this is generalizing a lot. They can't really tell if a virus has reactivated but many cfs experts believe if one has very high igg titres than than this indicates an old infection reactivating, especially if showing viral type symptoms. I also think getting t cells tested can help with this diagnosis and if cd8 t cells are high than this can also help with diagnosis of an active herpes infection. Nothing is concrete.