• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Are drugs depleting essential nutrients?

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Yes, many drugs do that. I have heard of all on the list. Most doctors are clueless about most of it and also about helping CFS and POTS by using supplements. Sad.

dannybex

Thanks. I had never seen a list like that either.

I like the way she explains how, for example certain antibiotics deplete biotin, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12 and vitamin K, while other specific antibiotics deplete calcium, magnesium and potassium, and then gives suggestions as to how to correct the depleted nutrients.

"In conclusion, drug-induced nutrient depletion is far more common than we thought. In evaluating patients' symptoms, we doctors must assess whether symptoms are due to the illness, to side effects of the drugs -- or to drug-induced nutrient depletion."